About the 4-H Poultry Project
Learn all about how to raise and manage a small flock of birds! Your birds can be chickens, turkeys, ducks, guineas, pigeons, or any other waterfowl or game birds. Learn about general care, nutrition, housing, health care, and more.
Contact the Marion County 4-H office:
Poultry Project Resources
You can learn more about how to raise and care for your birds by completing one of the project activity guides, based on your skill level:
- Poultry 1: Scratching the Surface
- Poultry 2: Testing Your Wings
- Poultry 3: Flocking Together
- Poultry Helper’s Guide
Project manuals may also be available to purchase at the Marion County Extension office, and older editions of manuals (if available) are free. Contact us to ask about availability!
Use an Egg & Flock Record Sheet to keep track of your birds and what you learn.
- Raising Bantams
- 4-H Poultry Showmanship
- National 4-H Poultry Judging Manual
- Indiana State Poultry Association Blood Testing School Manual
- T-12 Flyer with Form
Showcasing What You’ve Learned
You may enter one or more birds that you have fed and cared for in the Marion County Poultry Show at the annual Marion County 4-H Showcase.
You can also enter a poster or notebook highlighting what you have learned through our Animal Education project.
- All 4-H members entering live birds must complete the annual Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) animal ethics training. Contact the Marion County Extension office for help getting certified.
- Marion County 4-H does not offer the poultry science display. Contact the Marion County Extension office if you are interested in participating in the poultry science display at the State Fair.
- Indiana 4-H Animal Identification Information
- Marion County 4-H poster exhibit guidelines and tips
Advancing to the State Fair
- Yes! Poultry project exhibits from 4-H members grades 3 and up may advance to the State Fair. (You do not need to qualify at the county level to enter State Fair animal shows.) You must read and follow the Indiana 4-H Policies and Procedures for 4-H Animal Shows at the Indiana State Fair.
Cloverbuds (Grades K-2)
- Enter a poster, notebook, or presentation and/or participate in showmanship with a stuffed model. A reference list must be included with your poster or notebook.
- Due to liability issues with handling live animals, you may not enter/show live animals.
- Cloverbud projects are for exhibition only (not judged), so there are no score cards, and exhibits are not eligible to advance to the State Fair.
More Poultry Project Resources
- See Indiana 4-H’s poultry project page for more resources.