To exhibit beef cattle, dairy cattle, swine, sheep, meat goats, dairy goats, poultry and rabbits; 4-H members must be certified through Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA). This is an annual program. The purpose of YQCA is for 4-H’ers to learn about quality assurance; best management practices with their animals to ensure everyone is contributing to a safe, wholesome food supply.
More information about YQCA is available at http://yqca.org.
YQCA update for 2020
County Exhibitors ONLY - not exhibiting livestock at the state fair:
4-H’ers who plan to exhibit their livestock at the County Fair ONLY have an alternative educational program to meet the YQCA requirements for 2020 only. This is a FREE online Animal Ethics Module System that can be found at: https://extension.purdue.edu/4h/Pages/Online-Animal-Ethics-Program.aspx The four modules that must be completed are listed under the “Online Animal Ethics Modules”. When the “your information” screen appears, click the “X” in the upper right hand corner to get started.
Note: these modules were originally designed for adults/parents and adopted for 2020 as an alternative replacement program for YQCA.
At the conclusion of the modules, youth will need to complete the Qualtrics link below to obtain the certification. https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2aAOaEAK0BEGoRv
State Fair Exhibits
4-H’ers who plan to exhibit their livestock in the 4-H shows at the Indiana State Fair must complete YQCA. This can be done thru in-person trainings offered in Hamilton County (Dates TBA) and surrounding counties TBA (cost is $3) or on-line at yqca.org (cost is $12).
***YQCA FLASH SALE IN APRIL ONLY***
During the month of April (April 1 – April 30), YQCA will be offering a 25% discount on web-based trainings, making them $9.
- Those wishing to take part in the flash sale will need to purchase $9 web-based training coupons from YQCA. Coupon order forms may be obtained by emailing email@example.com. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO RECEIVE THE DISCOUNTED PRICE.
- Once the order form and proof of payment is received, coupons will be issued and returned to the purchaser within 3-5 business days.
- Coupons MUST be put towards a web-based training in the month of April.
- 4-H’ers may count this certification training as one of their livestock project manual activities in each species they are exhibiting.
For questions about the YQCA program, please contact Lisa Hanni at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Extension Office at 317-776-0854.
We recognize those who have typically utilized the instructor-led training option may be unfamiliar with what users receive with their registration fee. We have identified those items below and ask that they be shared with instructors who are pointing their youth towards the web-based training.
• Each session purchased includes three modules – a knowledge builder, a skills lab, and a quiz.
o The knowledge builder is where content is delivered, the skills lab provides an opportunity to apply the content, and the quiz tests knowledge. To receive a certification, an 80% must be achieved on the 10-question quiz.
o These modules, completed in their entirety, will provide 2-3 hours of an experience for users.
• Features of the online modules include:
o Characters at each age level to guide youth through the course
o Free navigation within the course so youth can spend as much or as little time on a particular topic based upon their personal needs
o Variety of learning opportunities to accommodate various learning styles and modalities
o Audio button on each slide so youth can listen to audio rather than read the on-screen text
• Users may revisit modules anytime during their year of certification to repeat the modules purchased for additional learning opportunities.
If you have any questions about the items above or requests for YQCA, please do not hesitate to reach out to email@example.com