About the 4-H Woodworking Project
Learn fascinating details about wood and how it can be used to construct items we rely upon every day! Learn about using hand and power tools, making specialized wood cuts, and woodworking safety in a fun-filled and hands-on supervised learning environment.
Contact the Marion County 4-H office:
Woodworking Project Manuals
You can learn more about woodworking by completing one of the project activity guides, based on your skill level:
- Woodworking 1: Measuring Up
- Woodworking 2: Making the Cut
- Woodworking 3: Nailing it Together
- Woodworking 4: Finishing Up
- Woodworking Helper's Guide
- Woodworking Additional Plans, Level 1
- Woodworking Additional Plans, Level 2
Project manuals may also be available to purchase at the Marion County Extension office, and older editions of manuals (if available) are free. Contact us to ask about availability!
Showcasing What You’ve Learned
You can create a project exhibit to showcase what you’ve learned while working on your project at the Marion County Showcase. You have the option of exhibiting something you’ve made out of wood or a poster showing what you’ve learned.
- Woodworking Exhibit Guidelines for 4-H members grades 3-12
- Woodworking Tools, Skills, and Techniques by Skill Level Chart
- A Woodworking Exhibit Skills Sheet must be included with your exhibit.
- Marion County 4-H poster exhibit guidelines and tips
- A reference list must be included with your poster.
Advancing to the State Fair
- Yes! Woodworking project exhibits from 4-H members grades 3 and up are eligible to advance to the State Fair.
Cloverbuds (Grades K-2)
- Construct a simple wood object to display. Ask a trusted adult for help. Safety should be the first priority and use of power tools would be inappropriate for most Cloverbuds. It is acceptable to assemble pre-cut pieces. Focus on learning about hand tools, sanding technique, gluing, and finishing a project.
- Cloverbud projects are for exhibition only (not judged), so there are no score cards, and exhibits are not eligible to advance to the State Fair.
More Woodworking Project Resources
- See Indiana 4-H’s woodworking project page for more resources.