About the 4-H Bicycle Project
Do you love to ride your bike? The 4-H bicycle project includes hands-on learning to teach you more about bicycle maintenance, operation, road safety, and staying healthy by riding your bike!
Contact the Marion County 4-H office:
Bicycle Project Manuals
You can learn more about bicycling by completing one of the project activity guides:
- Bicycle I (beginning riders): Bicycling for Fun
- Bicycle II (advanced riders): Wheels in Motion
- Don’t Get Stuck: Fix It – DVD on preventative maintenance and repair tips
Project manuals may also be available to purchase at the Marion County Extension office, and older editions of manuals (if available) are free. Contact us to ask about availability!
Showcasing What You’ve Learned
You can create a poster exhibit to showcase what you’ve learned while working on your project. Project exhibits are submitted for judging at the annual Marion County 4-H Showcase.
- Bicycle project exhibit guidelines for 4-H members grades 3-12
- Make sure to label your poster with your topic and include a reference list. Bring your completed manual(s) to judging, too.
- Marion County 4-H poster exhibit guidelines and tips
Advancing to the State Fair
- No, bicycle project exhibits are not eligible to advance to the State Fair. However, each county can send one junior (grades 3 - 7) and one senior (grades 8 - 12) to the State 4-H Bicycle Rodeo held during the Indiana State Fair. Contact us if you are interested in representing Marion County. Rodeo activities you will have to complete include a written exam, maintenance/safety check, parts identification, skill event, balance test, figure eight steering and balance tests, and single, double and zigzag obstacle course.
Cloverbuds (Grades K-2)
- Bicycling is an excellent activity to stay healthy while having fun! Cloverbuds may exhibit a poster or notebook on one of the following:
- Parts of a bike
- Safety equipment
- Hand signals
- Street signs
- My bike adventures
- Cloverbud projects are for exhibition only (not judged), so there are no score cards, and exhibits are not eligible to advance to the State Fair.
More Bicycle Project Resources
- See Indiana 4-H’s bicycle project page for more resources.