Jackson County - Pocket pets
Youth participating in the pocket pets project will learn about small pets, the cost to raise them, the care involved, showmanship, and much more.
The Pocket Pets project may include: Gerbils, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, Hedgehogs, Birds such as Canaries, Finches, Parakeets, or Parrots, Ferrets, Frogs, Turtles, Lizards, Mice, Non-Venomous Snakes, etc.
The manual booklets for this project are only available in the Extension Office. Please contact the Jackson County Purdue Extension Office with questions or to access one of these manual books.
4-H member must fill out a record sheet to be turned in with the green / white record book and complete 4 activities in the manual. Bring the manual to judging.
- This project is intended for animals that do not fit into another category (i.e. birds, fish, etc.)
- 4-H'er must have ownership of the animal by May 15.
- Animals must be of the non-poisonous variety.
- Animals will not be exhibited at the fair.
All posters, notebooks, and display boards must include a reference list indicating where information was obtained, giving credit to the original author, to complete the 4-H member's exhibit. This reference list should / might include web site links, people and professionals interviewed, books, magazines, etc. It is recommended this reference list be attached to the back of a poster or display board, be the last page of a notebook, or included as part of the display visible to the public. A judge is not to discredit an exhibit for the manner in which references are listed.
exhibit class guidelines
- Complete a minimum of 4 activities per year in the appropriate level Pocket Pets manual. Turn in your manual.
- Exhibit - One of the following:
- An educational poster (following poster guidelines) that shows something the 4-H'er learned from a completed activity in the appropriate level Pocket Pets manual.
- Action Demo at the fair. (Sign up at the Extension Office by Wednesday before the fair.)
There will be three divisions divided according to members' grades: Beginner (Grades 3 - 5), Intermediate (Grades 6 - 8), Advanced (Grades 9 - 12). Exhibit options are the same for all youth in grades 3 - 12.