Exhibit Guidelines: You must select one (1) of the three (3) recipes listed to prepare for exhibit: Honey Hives, Haystack Cookies, or Black-eyed Susans. You may want to try preparing all three for your family to enjoy. Each recipe is unique; the first two are no-bake cookies. Honey Hives have a thick dough that you form into a beehive shape. Haystacks require melting chocolate and butterscotch chips in the microwave or on the stove top, and Black-eyed Susans are mixed and baked, then the chocolate kiss is added. You will learn to read a recipe, follow the directions, and prepare the recipe. Make sure you have an adult help you purchase ingredients and learn how to prepare the recipes.
EXHIBIT: Six (6) Honey Hives, OR Haystacks, OR Black-eyed Susans.
General Instructions: Cookies should be placed on a firm, disposable plate. Cover exhibit securely with plastic wrap or put inside a sealable bag.
1 cup peanut butter 1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla 2 cups rice cereal
¾ cup raisins (Rice Krispies)
- Roll 1 ½ cups cereal between two sheets of waxed paper until crushed. Set aside.
- Do not crush remaining ½ cup cereal. Thoroughly mix peanut butter, honey, vanilla, raisins, and uncrushed cereal in a mixing bowl.
- Drop mixture by spoonfuls onto crushed cereal and roll lightly to cover.
- Form into beehive shapes. Try to make them all look the same.
- Makes about 2 dozen hives.
6 oz. pk chocolate chips 12 oz. chow Mein noodles
6 oz. pk butterscotch chips 1 C peanuts, optional
- Melt chips together on stove or in microwave.
- Remove from heat and stir in noodles & peanuts.
- Put wax paper on a cookie sheet and drop mix by teaspoonfuls. Refrigerate to set.
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) margarine or butter, softened 12 drops yellow food color
½ cup sugar 1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla 1 pkg (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 cups flour 36 chocolate kisses
- Mix butter, sugar, vanilla, food color, egg and cream cheese in a large bowl.
- Stir in flour.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375º.
- Shape dough into 1 ¼ inch balls. Put balls about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. As you put each ball on the cookie sheet, cut it following the directions below.
- Adult help: Using scissors or a small, sharp knife, cut each ball from top into 6 wedges about ¾ of the way through dough, as shown in drawing. Spread wedges apart slightly. (Cookies will flatten as they bake.)
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set and edges begin to brown.
- Immediately press in center of each cookie 1 of the chocolate kisses.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet with spatula to wire rack. Cool.