About the 4-H Cake Decorating Project
Learn all about creating beautifully decorated cakes! This is a fun project that can be done individually or as a group. It may also be an introduction to a money-making skill or career!
Contact the Marion County 4-H office:
Cake Decorating Project Resources
- Cake decorating workshops are held occasionally in Marion County. Keep an eye on Clover News for announcements!
- Video: 4-H cake decorating virtual workshop
- Wilton cake decorating how-to videos
- Recipe for Royal Icing
- See Indiana 4-H’s cake decorating project page for more resources.
Showcasing What You’ve Learned
You can create a project exhibit to showcase what you’ve learned while working your cake decorating project. Project exhibits are submitted for judging at the annual Marion County Showcase.
- Cake decorating project exhibit guidelines for 4-H members grades 3-12
- Refer to Indiana 4-H Cake Decorating Skills and Techniques for the skills you should exhibit based on your grade level.
- Keep track of what you learn using a Cake Decorating Record Sheet and Cake Decorating Skills Sheet. Both completed sheets must be attached to your project.
Advancing to the State Fair
- Yes! Cake decorating project exhibits from 4-H members grades 3 and up may advance to the State Fair.
Cloverbuds (Grades K-2)
- Birthdays and special occasions are made special by having creatively decorated cupcakes for the occasion. Practice decorating cupcakes using several different methods and display one cupcake that you decorated. It can be as simple as candy or sprinkles or more advanced if it is within your skills!
- Cupcakes on display at Showcase may be disposed of due to the cupcakes rotting or icing melting. A picture will be taken of the cupcake and the exhibit tag and ribbon will be attached to it. Royal Icing will last longer, but is not required to be used.
- Cloverbud projects are for exhibition only (not judged), so there are no score cards, and exhibits are not eligible to advance to the State Fair.