On Farm Research Trials
Purdue Extension Benton County
Jon Charlesworth, Agriculture and Natural Resources
410 S. Adeway, Suite A
Fowler, Indiana 47944
Purdue Extension is interested in working with farmers who are conducting their own in-field research trials. Some trials that are popular currently are:
- Nitrogen Fertilizer Timing in Corn– Comparisons of all Nitrogen applied pre-plant vs. split applications where a portion is applied as side dress. Some of these trials also look at the effect of applying some of the Nitrogen at a later growth stage using high clearance equipment.
- Sulfur Fertilizer Trials in both Corn and Soybeans.
- Trials looking at the efficacy of various biological or bio-stimulant products.
This is just to name a few. There are many other in-field trials being done on farms around the area. Purdue Extension is offering assistance with these trials. This assistance would be some combination of the following:
- Help with the trial design and set up.
- Assistance with implementing the trial.
- Help with scouting and timing.
- UAV (drone) flights for aerial photographs in season including development of crop health maps.
- Soil and/or plant tissue sampling when applicable.
- Some other assistance that may be helpful depending on the particular trial.
This is not all or nothing. This is ala carte. Each cooperator can pick and choose what assistance they are interested in receiving. This is not intended to be full scale university research. You will not end up with a hundred small 10’ x 30’ test plots in your field. This is assistance with the research trial you are already planning to conduct.
If you are interested in exploring the possibility of cooperating with us on an in-field research trial. Please contact Jon Charlesworth at firstname.lastname@example.org