All 4-H youth enrolled in a LIVESTOCK PROJECT (Beef, Dairy Beef, Dairy, Goat, Poultry, Rabbit, Sheep and Swine) must be YQCA (Youth for the Quality Care of Animals) certified.
The program covers all species of livestock, so youth in multiple livestock projects need only be certified once.
To become YQCA-Certified, you have two options:
- WEB-BASED: You may log into http://yqca.org/ at any time using your 4HOnline login information, pay the $12 fee, and become certified.
- INSTRUCTOR-LED: You will need to log into http://yqca.org/ prior to the training you wish to attend in order to pre-register and pay the $3 fee.
- You may attend any in-person training listed on the YQCA website, even if it's not one we are offering in DeKalb County.
- Be aware that some counties may charge extra on top of the $3 fee to cover their costs.
You may complete YQCA Instructor-Led training in any county that is convenient for you. So, if the dates below are not suitable, you can attend a YQCA in another county (or take the training online).
2020 DEKALB CO. DATES:
Tuesday, January 14 at 7:00 pm in the lower level of the County Office Building
Wednesday, February 12 at 7:00 pm in the lower level of the County Office Building
You must create a YQCA account and register/pay online prior to the Instructor-Led classes.
This YQCA Certification does NOT replace the workshop/worksheet requirements.
This video, available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MKDooXt4k&t=1s, walks you through how to sign up for a YQCA class.
- This is only available to youth in the first year of Intermediate (age 12), Senior (age 15) and Young Adult (age 19). There is no test-out option for juniors. At the bottom of the “Course List” page are the test-out options for these age levels.
- The test consists of 50 questions and requires a pass rate of 80% or better for certification.
- If passed, the certification will last through the end of a user’s age level (Intermediate – ages 12, 13 and 14; Senior – ages 15, 16, 17 and 18; and Young Adult – ages 19, 20 and 21.)
- The Intermediate and Young Adult test-out course will cost $36 ($12 x 3 years of certification) and the Senior test-out course will cost $48 ($12 x 4 years of certification.) If passed, users will receive access to online modules that correspond with the age levels indicated above, found on the user’s “My Library” page.
- Users will have one chance to take the test-out option. If they fail, they will not be provided another opportunity for that level of certification. If the youth passes, payment for the completed test-out course will be required AFTER the completion of the test. No payment is required prior to the test.
- Participants attempting and not passing will be prompted to take the instructor-led training or web-based training annually.