Recent data indicates a decline for Indiana’s frequency of farm-related fatalities involving children. However, the current stay-at-home order in response to the COVID-19 pandemic means more children are currently on farms or more regularly working them — which can potentially increase their exposure to farm workplace hazards.
Purdue Extension’s INPREPared program has compiled five strategies to educate children about the farm workplace and establish a culture of safety.
- Maintaining distance between young children and tractors/self-propelled equipment
- Keeping young children away from certain farm areas
- Assign age-appropriate tasks
- Ensure a safe workplace for children and everyone
- Train younger workers responsibly