THIS IS YOUR INVITATION to enroll in the Master Gardener Intern Training Program that will be offered in Monroe County in Winter/Spring 2019. Classes will be held weekly on Wednesday evenings from 6:00pm-9:00pm, starting on January 23 and running until May 15.
About the Master Gardener Program: The Master Gardener Program is one way the Purdue Extension-Monroe County Office puts knowledge to work and helps people grow. This program covers a broad range of gardening topics presented by local and regional professionals. Upon completion of the training program, participants are expected to volunteer within their community, to help others grow by sharing the horticultural knowledge gained through the program.
Master Gardener Program Manual and Fees: Participants will have to choose if they would like the Master Gardener Manual in printed or electronic form (flash drive). Please note: the fees listed below include; program registration fee, a 1-year membership to the Monroe County Master Gardener Association, the cost of the manual, miscellaneous handouts and a $50.00 non-refundable processing fee.
Option 1 (Manual in PRINT) - $170.00 OR Option 2 (Manual on Flash Drive) - $155.00
Option 3 For 2nd member in the same household enrolling that will share materials - $120.00
There is a non-refundable deposit of $50.00 required for all applicants. To hold your place in class, you may choose to pay the deposit of $50 (with the remaining amount due at the first class) or pay the full amount. Please note: there will be no refunds after classes begins and materials are distributed - no exceptions.
Applications will be accepted as walk-ins or through the mail. We also have a drop-off box for convenient after hours drop-off (behind the east column in front of our office - look for the Purdue Extension label).
Please register by January 16 to ensure we have adequate materials for the first class.
Payment Options: You now have the option to use credit/debit cards for payment. To use this option, you will need to call Dorothy Kiser, the Monroe County Master Gardener Association treasurer at (812) 606-2834. If you chose this payment option, please note that you will still need to mail or bring the forms to our office. If you are paying by check or cash, please bring/send payment to the Extension Office with your registration.
Enrollment: To secure participation in the upcoming program, please complete the forms listed below and return to the Extension Office. There is some duplication of the information requested, and we apologize for that. However there are some forms that we need for the Extension Office records and some for the Monroe County Master Gardener Association records.
- Program Application and the signed agreement for volunteer service – to read the Purdue Master Gardener Program Policy Guide please go to www.hort.purdue.edu/mg, if you do not have internet access please contact our office.
- 2019 MCMGA Intern membership application (no membership fee required – 1 year membership is included with program registration). Your contact information will be shared with other class members and members of the MCMGA. If this is a problem, please contact the office.
Certification Requirements: In order to become a Certified Master Gardener, you must complete the items below.
- Attend all classes (if you know that you will be missing more than two classes, you may want to consider taking the class at a later date).
- Successfully complete the Master Gardener Training Program which includes passing a final test with a 70%.
- Complete 35 hours of volunteering within the community by May 1, 2020 in order to receive your Master Gardener Certification. A list of volunteer activities will be provided in class and other activities are also often acceptable.
As an incentive to volunteer, interns who complete both the training program and the 35 hours of volunteer work within the allotted time will receive a refund of $50.00.
Class size is limited, will be filled on a first-come-first serve basis and normally fills quickly. For more information and the application packet, please open the link below (under related files). If you would like to participate in this upcoming program, please complete the application packet. Return your completed application and registration fee to the Purdue Extension - Monroe County Office at 3400 South Walnut Street.
If you have questions about the forms, application or class content, please contact the Purdue Extension - Monroe County office at (812)349-2575 or by email at email@example.com.