4-H LLAMAS & ALPACAS
ALL 4-H GENERAL LIVESTOCK/ANIMAL RULES SHALL APPLY!
ANIMAL OWNERSHIP FORM IS DUE ONLINE (ALONG WITH A PICTURE OF YOUR ANIMAL) MAY 15. LEASE AGREEMENT IS DUE IN THE SHELBY COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE BY MAY 15.
Show: Friday, July 3, 2020 - 2:00 p.m. Showmanship -2:00 p.m., Obstacle immediately following Showmanship. Costume will be 1/2 hour following last Obstacle Class,. followed by Leaping Limbo
Premiums for all classes: $6, $5, $4, $3, $2, Participation $1
1. A llama/alpaca may be owned or leased by the 4-H’er.
2. Each 4-H member may enter one (1) animal in the 4-H llama/alpaca show. Each exhibitor can enter the animal in every class for which it is eligible.
3. Llamas and Alpacas will show together.
4. Companion animals are not allowed in the show.
5. No intact males 24 months of age or older on May 15 will be permitted in the 4-H classes.
6. The 4-H’er will respect the dignity and personality of the animals and treat it with gentle kindness.
7. Attendance and help at clean-up, tear down, and taking home of lamas and tack after the lama show is required of all 4-Hers.
8. Age Divisions: Junior (Grades 3, 4 & 5), Intermediate (Grades 6, 7, & 8) and Advanced (Grades 9, 10, 11 & 12)
4-H LAMA ENTRY RULES
1. 4-H ONLINE - All 4-H Llama/Alpaca Exhibitors must complete and submit State Llama/Alpaca Ownership Forms along with a photo online by May 15. This pertains to ALL COUNTY, AREA, AND STATE FAIR EXHIBITORS. Animals may not be substituted or traded after May 15 of the current calendar year. All 4-H Llama/Alpaca Exhibitors must complete and submit Llama/Alpaca Lease Forms by May 15 to:
Shelby County Extension Office 1600 E State Road 44, Suite C Shelbyville, IN 46176
2. COUNTY FAIR SHOW ENTRY FORMS—All County 4-H Exhibitors must enter your Llama & Alpacas in their classes in the Fair Entry online program by May 31. There will be NO entries accepted after May 31. All county 4-H Exhibitors must also complete a Pen Reservation Form, and return to the Shelby County Extension Office. Forms are due May 15. There will be NO entries accepted after May 15th. Substitutions will be dealt with on a case by case situation and only in the case of an accident or illness to an animal.
3. STATE FAIR ENTRIES – Pre-entry is required by July 1
4-H Llama/Alpaca Classes:
COSTUME CLASS: Member and animal are judged on originality, difficulty in training animal to accept and exhibit costume, and suitability to theme (exhibitor’s choice). Exhibitors must submit a one (1) minutes narrative to be read during their performance. Narratives must be submitted to the announcer one- half hour before the scheduled start of the class.
OBSTACLE: Member and animal are judged on their ability to negotiate obstacles. Five (5) specific obstacles are required: jump, change of pace, backing, bridge/ramp, maneuvering.
PACK: Member and animal are judged on their ability to negotiate obstacles and perform activities in the back country while carrying a pack. Six (6) specific obstacles are required: backing, bridge/ramp, jump, flexibility and maneuvering, inspecting foot, manageability with pack. Llamas/Alpacas under 18 months of age will wear a training pack or pad with two (2) cinches, no filler, with or without panniers. Entire system must weigh no more than eight (8) lbs. Llamas/Alpacas 18 months and older will wear a complete pack with two (2) cinches and panniers filled out with light weight material. Entire system must weight no more than 25 lbs. Juniors will not remove packs.
PUBLIC RELATIONS: Member and animal are judged on their ability to negotiate obstacles and perform activities in the community. Five (5) specific obstacles are required: picking up foot/showing teeth, loading, backing, ramp/steps, petting by strangers.
SHOWMANSHIP: Member demonstrates the ability to show his/her animal to its best advantage at halter. Judging is based on the exhibitor’s basic skill in fitting, grooming, following directions, and style of presenting the animal to the judge for evaluation. The animal’s conformation is not to be considered.
LEAPING LAMA AND LAMA LIMBO – Exhibition only, Non point classes. All classes will conform to state fair rules.
*Junior, Intermediate and Senior 4-H members are critiqued and placed by the judge. Awards are given according to placement. 4-H members with special needs may be placed in a division commensurate with their ability rather than their age.
Overall Grand Champion scoring will include classes plus Fleece, Craft and poster scores.