Play an instrument and want to learn more. The music project allows youth to develop music skills and show off their skills with the music project.
Level A (grades 3-4)
Level B (grades 5-6)
Level C (grades 7-9)
Level D (grades 10-12)
No manual; however, a Lake County record sheet must be completed (attached below)
**Only a Lake County Record Sheet is needed**
General Exhibit Requirements
Record Sheet Required (No Manual) – separate record sheets are required for each category
Members may choose performance categories (vocal, piano, and instrument other than piano) and/or complete an educational poster. A Champion and Reserve Champion will be selected for each level in each category. Music performances are generally scheduled in the spring (see newsletter and online calendar for registration details).
- Members may choose to perform one or more than one category (vocal, piano, and instrument other than piano).
- Solos only are to be performed. Instrumental solos are to be performed on one instrument.
- Performance pieces are the choice of the 4-H member.
- Pre-registration is required and must be submitted by due date. Notification will be sent with scheduled performance time(s), which are subject to change at the discretion of the superintendent. Call superintendent if notice is not received.
- Performers must check in at least one half hour before scheduled performance time. A record sheet for each performance is required at time of check-in.
- Please dress appropriately for a recital (i.e. no flip-flops, shorts, t-shirts, or revealing outfits).
- Participants must submit a copy of the performance music for the judge. Vocalists may submit words only if printed music is not available. Number the measures on your music for the judge.
- Accompaniment may be taped or live. Music only, no performing voice (you may not sing with another singer). Accompanist will not be judged. Member must be prepared to cue own music. A tape/CD player will be provided.
- It is suggested the composition fit the recommended time guidelines: Level A, 90 seconds to 3 minutes; Level B, 2 minutes to 4 minutes; Level C, 2 ½ minutes to 5 minutes; and Level D, 3 minutes to 6 minutes. Infractions will not affect the total grade, but performances exceeding time limits may be stopped by the judge.
- 4-H member may submit one poster. See “General Rules” for poster requirements and see judging schedule for due date.
- Topics may include history of a musical instrument, music theory, a biography of a composer, or other information that demonstrates an understanding of music, instruments, or musical concepts.
Interested in sponsoring a trophy or award for this project? Please contact the project superintendent or Extension Office at 219-755-3240 to learn more!