The Arts and Crafts 4-H project allows youth to learn life skills and grow in project knowledge while expressing creativity in a variety of media. Basketry is a fun way to express your creativity while learning how to weave a professional looking basket.
Level A (grades 3-4)
Level B (grades 5-6)
Level C (grades 7-9)
Level D (grades 10-12)
No manual required; however, you need to fill out a Lake County record sheet (attached below)
**Only a Lake County Record Sheet is needed**
General Exhibit Requirements
Arts & Crafts Record Sheet Required (No Manual)
- Basket is to be woven from reed.
- Exhibit basket only. Do not fill basket or add decorative objects.
- Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion may be selected for State Fair entry (Crafts).
Level A (grades 3-4): Simple basket with no handle, with or without a rim
- e.g. pencil basket, wooden-bottom heart basket, bread basket, muffin basket.
Level B (grades 5-6): Square or rectangular bottom basket with handle and rim
- e.g. berry basket, market basket, apple basket.
Level C (grades 7-9): Advanced basket with greater degree of difficulty
- e.g. melon basket, egg basket, basket with braided rim, braided handles, round bottom basket.
Level D (grades 10-12): Basket should be made using advanced weaving techniques and will be judged by degree of difficulty as well as quality of work.
Interested in sponsoring a trophy or award for this project? Please contact the project superintendent or Extension Office at 219-755-3240 to learn more!