Quality Assurance programs are a great way to ensure our youth producers are creating a product we can be proud to consume. In the past, we have used the Pork Quality Assurance Program (PQA), but that program phased out at the end of 2017. It has since been replaced by Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA), which addresses quality in many different species. Starting in 2018, any Indiana youth wishing to exhibit an animal at a county or state fair must have completed a YQCA Certification.
Please read on to get all of the information for completing YQCA Quality Assurance Program for you and making sure you have met all of your needs.
What is YQCA?
The Youth for the Quality Care of Animals Program (YQCA) is a program that will provide quality assurance education on all livestock species. YQCA is a national quality assurance program for youth ages 8 to 21 with a focus on three core pillars: food safety, animal well-being, and character development.
YQCA includes information for youth exhibiting ALL livestock. YQCA is available as an online program or an in-person training. Youth may complete the training online (http://yqca.org/) at a cost of $12 or they can participate at an in-person training for $3.
Certification in YQCA is a requirement for youth planning to exhibit Livestock in the County 4-H Fairs, the Indiana State Fair, and some open shows. Our Handbook reads:
To exhibit Beef cattle, diary cattle, swine, sheep, meat goats, diary goats, poultry (including eggs), and/or rabbits, 4-H members must be certified through the Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) program. This is an ANNUAL program that can be completed via online modules or in-person trainings. Look in the Cloverprint newsletter and for emails stating dates/times of in-person training. More information about YQCA is available at http://yqca.org. Failure to complete the YQCA certification will result in ineligibility to exhibit your animal(s) and an incomplete project. If enrolled in multiple species projects, only one YQCA certification is needed.
How to Become Certified:
There are two ways to complete your certification: in-person or online. Youth may complete the training online (http://yqca.org) at a cost of $12 or they can participate in an in-person training for $3.
- Cost: $12.00
- Timing: Youth can complete the course at their convenience online at any point
- How to Register: Go to YQCA.org and log in using your 4HOnline email and password. Choose the online course option.
- Cost: $3
- Timing: Youth must attend one of the classes hosted by an instructor. Check back for more planned courses for the 2019/2020 4-H year.
- December 14, 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM at the Hauling Livestock SPARK Club, Purdue Extension Harrison County Office
- How to Register: Go to YQCA.org and log in using your 4HOnline email and password. Choose the instructor lead course you wish to attend.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do Mini 4-H Members need a YQCA Certification? No, this is for 4-H members in grades 3-12.
- When do I need to have my certification complete? You must complete your certification prior to checking in your animal at the Harrison County 4-H Fair.
- What if I show multiple animal species? You only need to complete the certification once per year, and that will apply to each of your animals.
- How long does the in-person class take? It is approximately one hour and fifteen minutes.
- Can I attend a YQCA In-Person Training in another county?: Yes, if our schedule does not work for you, you can attend a class in any other county. You can find all classes listed at yqca.org when signing up.
- When should I register for a class?: As soon as possible! Space is limited in each class, and we recommend registering at least a week prior to the class being offered. You MUST register for a class before attending
- What if I do not remember my 4HOnline email address?: Contact our office, and we can tell you what it is. If you do not sign in with 4HOnline, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to gain access to your completion information. If you do not remember your password, you can reset that yourself using the "Forgot Password" option at https://in.4honline.com. WE DO NOT KEEP PASSWORD RECORDS IN OUR OFFICE.
- How long is my certification valid?: One year
- What if I am not selling my animal in the Auction?: This is not an auction requirement, it is an exhibit requirement. To show your animal, you must complete the certification.