DAIRY – 2014
Dairy Show, Monday, July 14, 2014.9:30 a.m.
All dairy animals must be enrolled by May 15 on County Dairy Enrollment form.
All housing requests are due at time of enrollment.
IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THE DAIRY PROJECT, EACH MEMBER WILL DO 1 ACTIVITY INCLUDED WITH THE COST SHEET. THESE WILL BE TURNED IN AT CHECK-IN TIME.
4-H Dairy will be entered on Sunday afternoon and showed on Monday at 9:30 a.m.
- All animals at time of enrollment must have an ear tag number, tattoo in ear or registration number and/or dam's identification number.
- Any exhibitor may exhibit at the State Fair if properly enrolled and registered; contact Extension Office for more information. Fulton County has a dairy lease program for those not owning dairy animals or living on a farm using the Indiana State 4-H lease program rules.
- Dairy breeds include Ayrshire, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Jersey, Holstein and Milking Shorthorn. All dairy animals (see above) must be listed dairy breeds of both sire and dam. NO crossbreds allowed. Any question concerning breed will be referred to dairy committee.
- Milking cows must be stalled before the dairy show starts. Milking cows and all other cattle will be entered in their respective classes by Sunday Check-in. All dry cows not milking will be required to be stalled by Sunday check-in. All papers will be checked at time of unloading. Milking cattle will be released after the show.
- Order of Show:
- Jr. classes age by breed, followed by Jr. champion
- Sr. classes age by breed, followed by Sr. champion.
- Junior and Senior Champions will compete for Grand Champion and Reserve within each breed.
- **Each breed must have an animal that has freshened prior to the show to have a Grand Champion.
**Any animal that has freshened or in milk will show in a cow class.
- Senior Showmanship - All ages of showmanship will be same as County General Rules 16 and 17.
- Junior Showmanship
- Beginner Showmanship
- Master Showmanship - Senior winner will be included.
- Showmanship will be at the conclusion of the Grand Champions.
- A representative gallon of milk will be sold from each of the dairy breed Grand Champions.
- Any 4-H dairy member wanting to sell a dairy product (weighing at least 2 pounds) such as butter, cheese, etc. but not milk must participate in showmanship at this year’s fair.
- See General Livestock Rules for more information. Especially Rule 21.
- Class descriptions for 2014 County Fair:
- Junior Heifer - Born March 1, 2014 to April 15, 2014
- Winter Heifer - Born December 1, 2013 to February 28, 2014
- Summer Heifer - Born June 1, 2013 to August 31, 2013
- Spring Yearling - Born March 1, 2013 to May 31, 2013
- Winter Yearling - Born December 1, 2012 to February 29, 2013
- Fall Yearling - Born September 1, 2012 to November 30, 2012
Senior Age Classes
- Junior 2 Year Old Cow - Born March 1, 2012 to August 31, 2012
- Senior 2 Year Old Cow - Born September 1, 2011 to February 28, 2012
- Junior 3 Year Old Cow - Born March 1, 2011 to August 31, 2011
- Senior 3 Year Old Cow -Born September 1, 2010 to February 28, 2011
- 4 Year Old Cow - Born September 1, 2009 to August 31, 2010
- 5 Year and Over -Born on or prior to August 31, 2009