The 4-H Horse and Pony Project provides youth a fun and hands-on learning experience that develops life skills, as well as teaches valuable information about properly caring for their animal. Subjects such as general management, training, nutrition, housing, and health care are presented in the curricular materials, through workshops and activities such as horse bowl, Hippology and judging, and in preparation of an exhibit. Youth also have the opportunity to develop responsibility, decision-making, nurturing, and communication skills through active participation in the 4-H Horse and Pony Project.
Important documents can be found at the bottom of this page underneath "Related Files".
Videos from the January Horse Health Workshops are now available on the Purdue Horse Extension YouTube Channel. The available videos are:
- IN Horse Health Regulations: Dr. Jodi Lovejoy, Indiana Board of Animal Health
- Infectious Diseases in Horses: Keeping Your Horse Safe at Equestrian Events: Dr. Amanda Farr, Purdue College of Veterinary Medicine
- Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony Vaccination Requirements: Aaron Fisher, State 4-H Office
Important Project Dates:
May 15, 2015 Deadline to turn enroll horses and ponies online through the 4HOnline website
July 1, 2014 Deadline to enroll Horses and Ponies for State Fair without penalty. State Fair Entry website: click here
- Each 4-H member needs to turn in a record sheet and worksheet to complete the Horse and Pony project for the year.
- Grade is based on the grade you were in when you enrolled in 4-H for the 2014 year.
- Answers to the worksheet are found in the Horse Management Manual (Ohio State). One resource manual is provided per family the first year a family member takes the Horse and Pony Project.
- If you exhibit an animal poster project you need to complete the General 4-H Record Sheet and turn it in at judging check-in in order to have your poster judged. This is required even if you plan to exhibit an animal in that project at the county fair.
Here are some additional website that you might helpful for this project:
Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony Website
2014 Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony Handbook (4-H 661)
Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony on Twitter
Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony on Facebook
Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony on iTunes
Indiana 4-H Animal Online Enrollment- closed for 2014
Indiana State Fair
How to create a 4-H Poster