The 4-H Horse and Pony Project provides youth a fun and hands-on learning experience that develops life skills, as well as teaches valuable information about properly caring for their animal. Subjects such as general management, training, nutrition, housing, and health care are presented in the curricular materials, through workshops and activities such as horse bowl, Hippology and judging, and in preparation of an exhibit. Youth also have the opportunity to develop responsibility, decision-making, nurturing, and communication skills through active participation in the 4-H Horse and Pony Project.
Important documents can be found at the bottom of this page underneath "Related Files".
Videos from the January Horse Health Workshops are now available on the Purdue Horse Extension YouTube Channel. The available videos are:
- IN Horse Health Regulations: Dr. Jodi Lovejoy, Indiana Board of Animal Health
- Infectious Diseases in Horses: Keeping Your Horse Safe at Equestrian Events: Dr. Amanda Farr, Purdue College of Veterinary Medicine
- Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony Vaccination Requirements: Aaron Fisher, State 4-H Office
Important Project Dates:
May 15, 2018 Deadline to enroll horses and ponies online through the 4HOnline
Deadline to turn in Lease Forms and Livestock Location Forms to the Extension Office
Open March 1, 2018 There are various deadlines with various fees based on when you enroll your animals through the Indiana State Fair Entry system. State Fair Entry website: click here
- Each 4-H member needs to turn in a record sheet and worksheet to complete the Horse and Pony project for the year.
- Grade is based on the grade you were in when you enrolled in 4-H for the 2018 year.
- Answers to the worksheet are found in the Horse Management Manual (Ohio State). One resource manual is provided per family the first year a family member takes the Horse and Pony Project.
- If you exhibit an animal poster project you need to complete the General 4-H Record Sheet and turn it in at judging check-in in order to have your poster judged. This is required even if you plan to exhibit an animal in that project at the county fair.
2018 Horse and Pony Enrollment Documents
Horse and Pony Enrollment Cover Letter
Horse and Pony Enrollment Instructions for 4HOnline
Livestock Location Approval Form
Horse and Pony Lease Agreement
2018 Hose and Pony Vaccination Form
Here are some additional website that you might helpful for this project:
Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony Website
Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony on Twitter
Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony on Facebook
Indiana 4-H Horse and Pony on iTunes
Indiana State Fair
How to create a 4-H Poster