Beginning this year, to exhibit beef cattle, dairy cattle, swine, sheep, meat goats, dairy goats, poultry, and/or rabbits, 4-H members must be certified through the educational Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) program.
This is an annual education program that can be completed via online modules ($12) or in-person training programs ($3). IN-PERSON TRAININGS HELD IN PORTER COUNTY WILL BE FREE TO PORTER COUNTY 4-H MEMBERS! (Thanks to our Porter County 4-H Council and sponsors. If your farm or business would be interested in sponsoring the YQCA program, please contact email@example.com.)
This program is replacing the National Pork Board’s Youth PQA Plus program that was funded by the national Pork Checkoff and that had been required of swine members for the past 15-20 years.
While this is a new requirement, it should not be viewed as just another rule, but rather as an important educational opportunity for 4-H livestock members. Making this an exhibition rule is how Indiana 4-H is ensuring that 4-H members learn about quality assurance (though actually, the program has nothing to do with animal exhibition). Indiana 4-H is requiring this program so youth learn best management practices with their animals. The YQCA program will:
- Ensure that youth livestock exhibitors are better prepared to be ambassadors for animal agriculture.
- Ensure that animals from youth livestock programs are treated with the utmost care.
- Ensure that 4-H members are contributing to a safe, wholesome food supply for consumers.
- Enhance the future of the livestock industry so that today’s youth producers can become more informed producers, consumers, and/or employees of the agriculture and food industry.
More information about YQCA is available at http://yqca.org.
Program Dates - RSVPs Required
All local in-person training programs have now passed.
After completion of your instructor-led training course, Porter County 4-Hers will receive a unique coupon code, courtesy of the Porter County 4-H Council. It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to use your coupon code to register your participation online. Step by step instructions will be provided at the program and are available for download at the bottom of this page.
Should you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 465-3555.
Alternative to In-Person Training:
If you were unable to attend one of the in-person sessions, you'll need to complete the YQCA program online at http://yqca.learngrow.io. Log in with your 4HOnline profile and complete the training online.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- QUESTION: I'm wondering if members whose certification has not expired under PQA for the swine project still need to complete the new YQCA program. They sound similar in content. ANSWER: According to the information I have received, youth with multi-year PQA certification will be grandfathered in until that certification expires.
- QUESTION: What dates will in-person workshops be held? ANSWER: 3/11, 3/29, 4/24, 5/1, and 5/22. See above for more information.
- QUESTION: Will members be required to pre-register for their preferred workshop date? ANSWER: Yes. Please RSVP at the links noted in the above information.
- QUESTION: Will the number of participants who can attend each session be limited? ANSWER: Yes. We anticipate that each session will be open to 30-50 4-H members. The number who can attend is dependent on size of meeting space and considerations for effective class size.
- QUESTION: Do I have to report online after I attend the course? ANSWER: Yes. At the conclusion of the in-person class, you will be given a coupon code (valued at $3) and written instructions on the next step, which will be to register your participation in the YQCA website that is linked to your 4HOnline account. (Step-by-step instructions are available for download at the bottom of this page.)
- QUESTION: Is there a quiz for the 4-Hers to complete at the conclusion of the in-person training session? ANSWER: No. Currently, the in-person YQCA program is dependent on participation, there is no quiz component.