Purdue Extension is offering produce food safety training sessions at locations throughout Indiana to aid farms and growers in learning the basics of food safety and assist in establishing safety programs for their operations.
The trainings last about seven hours and utilize the Produce Safety Alliance curriculum. The content includes an introduction to produce safety; worker health, hygiene and training; soil amendments; wildlife, domesticated animals and land use; agricultural water; postharvest handling and sanitation; and how to develop a farm safety plan.
"These sessions meet the training requirement for farms covered under the Food Safety Modernization Act's produce safety rule," said Scott Monroe, food safety Extension educator. "Even if you aren't required to meet those guidelines, this is a great opportunity for growers to get helpful information in one location and begin the process of learning about produce food safety and developing a food safety program on their farms."
There are currently 18 confirmed training sites. Classes at each site will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time. The sessions are $100 per participant, which includes a curriculum manual, certificate of completion and lunch.
To register for any location, go to www.SafeProduceIN.com and click on the “Get Trained” option.
Session dates and locations
* Aug. 25. Nelson Hall of Food Science, 745 Agricultural Mall Drive, West Lafayette.
* Aug. 29. Purdue Extension-Johnson County, 484 N. Morton St., Franklin.
* Sept. 21. Purdue Extension-Randolph County, 1885 S. U.S. 27, Winchester.
* Sept. 28. Southwest-Purdue Agricultural Center, 4369 N. Purdue Road, Vincennes.
* Oct. 3. Purdue Extension-Madison County, 3424 Mounds Road, Anderson.
* Oct. 30. Purdue Extension-Tippecanoe County, 3150 Sagamore Parkway South, Lafayette.
* Nov. 7. Purdue Extension-Hancock County, 802 N. Apple St., Greenfield.
* Nov. 30. Purdue Extension-Marshall County, 112 W. Jefferson St., Plymouth.
* Dec. 19. Purdue Extension-Daviess County, Daviess County Security Center, 101 NE Fourth St., Washington.
* Jan. 8. Purdue Extension-Washington County, 806 Martinsburg Road, Suite 104, Salem.
* Jan. 11. Purdue Extension-Monroe County, 3400 S. Walnut St., Bloomington.
* Jan. 18. Purdue Extension-Shelby County, 1600 E. State Road 44, Suite C, Shelbyville.
* Jan. 31. Purdue Extension-Boone County, 1300 E. 100 South, Lebanon.
* Feb. 14 at the 2019 Indiana Horticultural Congress. Indianapolis Marriott East, 7202 E. 21st St., Indianapolis.
* Feb. 19. Pinney-Purdue Agricultural Center, 11402 S. County Line Road, Wanatah.
* March 21. Purdue Extension-Posey County (location to be determined).
* March 29. Purdue Extension-Allen County, 4001 Crescent Ave., Fort Wayne.
* April 3. Purdue Extension-Wayne County, 861 Salisbury Road North, Richmond.
For more information, contact Monroe at 812-886-0198, Amanda Deering at 765-494-0512, Rhonda Taylor at 765-494-6702, or any of the hosting county Extension offices.