Junior Leader News – October 8, 2018
NEXT JUNIOR LEADER MEETING = “CALL OUT” @ EDGE ADVENTURES – 10/15/18
All 7th-12th graders should attend our Kick-Off Enrollment Party on Monday, October 15th from 4:00-8:00 p.m. at Edge Adventures. The 4-H Council is graciously paying admission for all K-12 youth in attendance, so bring a friend and show them how much fun we have in 4-H! Current Jr. Leaders will be on-site to talk to you about getting involved and tell you all about the fun things we do, so come hang out at the Jr. Leader table for a little bit next Monday! (Edge Adventures requires a parental waiver… get started at http://bit.ly/4HEdgeWaiver.)
(Executive Committee: we’ll set up a staffing schedule so that there is always at least two executive committee members at the table. Stay tuned to your group chat.)
Meetings will be held on the third Monday of each month from 6:00-7:00 unless announced otherwise. Locations are TBD due to renovations at the Expo Center.
ACHIEVEMENT DAY SET-UP – TUESDAY, OCTOBER 16TH – 4:45 P.M.
We count on Jr. Leaders to help pull off our big county-wide Achievement Night. If you can, please be at the 4-H Building (north end) by 4:45 p.m. next Tuesday to help set up chairs and get things organized. The program begins at 5:30. Thanks in advance! (An RSVP for Achievement Night is appreciated, but not required, to help us plan, RSVP at http://bit.ly/20184HAwardsNight.)
JUNIOR LEADER VOLUNTEER DAY – NOVEMBER 17th – SIGN UP NOW!
- More info on Dunes State Park Volunteering: For a few years we’ve discussed volunteering at the lakeshore. On November 17th we will finally do it! We will join with the LaPorte County Junior Leaders for a morning of service from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon. Our day will start at the Nature Center where we will have an introduction from state park staff on stewardship of our lakeshores (they’ll tell us WHY it’s important that we help preserve our lakeshore!). Following the presentation we’ll divide and conquer litter pick-up in the park. All Jr. Leaders will be able to enter the park for free since we’ll be providing a service. Bring gloves, wear hiking shoes or boots if you have them, and dress for the weather. LOOK FOR MORE INFO IN EARLY NOVEMBER.
- Last spring we voted to volunteer at the special events throughout the year at Sunset Hill Farm County Park. The remaining festival of the year is the Winter Lights Festival on November 17th from 3:00-8:00 p.m. Learn more about Parks Department events at: portercountyparks.org.
- Get November 17th on your calendar NOW and sign up at: http://bit.ly/PCJLNov17. Join us for as much of the day as you can! Use the sign-up to let us know when we’ll see you.
- The Executive Committee is working with Area X 4-H staff on a new incentive award program for participation… November 17th is a great chance to start working toward those goals!
STAY IN TOUCH!
- Get on our email list for news and updates by completing the form at http://tinyurl.com/4HJLinfo. Make sure you don’t miss an update by joining this email group!
- Go to facebook.com/groups/PC4HJL to join our private Facebook group.
- Text @pcjl to 81010 to sign up for text alerts and reminders. Or to receive the same messages via email, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4-H 4-MILE HUSTLE SHIRTS AVAILABLE
Your fifth annual 4-H 4-Mile Hustle was once again a positive fundraiser for the Junior Leaders organization! We have plenty of leftover Hustle shirts available at the Extension Office for $5 each! They are Carolina blue sport/tech fabric… great for gym class, practices, or just any day! They’re pretty cool-looking. Spread the word.
INDIANA 4-H FALL LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES – SAVE THE DATES/SIGN-UP NOW
Ya know how a forthcoming incentive program was mentioned above in the volunteering section? You may want to consider signing up for one of this fall’s state level programs; it will look good on your record!
- October 27th, 9:30-5:30 EST: “Think Up” Summit:
- In an effort to increase knowledge and awareness of emotional resilience, Indiana 4-H is offering this training that will focus on the essential skills of ‘helpful thinking and self-talk’, ‘emotion recognition and regulation’, ‘life problem solving’, ‘mindfulness through movement’ and ‘communicating effectively’. The day will be filled with fun activities that provide the skills, knowledge and strategies to help youth “think up” by focusing on the positives instead of the negatives in life.
- Young people who possess sound social and emotional skills are generally better able to cope with the stressors of daily life, have better relationships, and perform better academically. In addition, having these skills makes it less likely that a young person will experience significant mental health problems in the future.
- Our very own Brooke Wilson was one of just a few Indiana Teen Teachers who attended the National Summit on Healthy Living this past February. While at the summit, Brooke’s team discussed that emotional health is a topic that Indiana teens need to know about. Though Brooke will not be able to attend due to a band commitment, she has played a role in developing the program.
- Use the following link to learn more and register: thinkupsummit.eventbrite.com. Lunch and snacks are included at this free event!
- November 10th, 9:00-4:45 EST: Indiana 4-H Leadership Summit:
- This event will focus on 4-H leadership education and resources and will energize you to pursue excellence right here in our local community. This program is for 4-H members and adult volunteers.
- The Porter County 4-H Council will pay the registration cost of any Porter County 4-H Volunteer or Youth member who would like to attend the Summit. To be part of the county delegation, please sign up on our county registration page at http://bit.ly/2018IN4HSummit by October 18th and Extension staff will get you registered to attend. (See the flyer in the October Pandemonium for more info. Get more Summit details at http://purdue.ag/IN4HSummit, but be sure to sign up through our link mentioned above to be included in our delegation.)
Our webpage: http://bit.ly/PorterCo4HJL
If needed, update your contact info for our email list at www.tinyurl.com/4HJLinfo
Join our private Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/PC4HJL
Sign up for text alerts: text @pcjl to 81010