SUPERINTENDENT: Sarah Ferguson 812-325-8398 or email@example.com
Monroe County Achievement Record Sheet required
- Follow General Poster Rules (see page 12).
- No bee hives may be brought to the fair.
- Honey water content will be measured. Fill level: the honey should be filled to the jar shoulder.
- Chunk honey should go in a wide-mouth jar, preferably one specially made for chunk honey.
- Be careful to distinguish "chunk honey"(comb in jar) from "cut comb" (comb only in box).
- Honey (including chunk, cut comb and comb) must be collected since the previous fair.
Division 1 (may do 1 to 2 years): Present one of the following topics on a poster:
- Flowers Used to Make Honey: display pressed flowers from 10 different Indiana plants that bees use for making honey.
- Uses of Honey and Beeswax
- Setting up a Bee Hive
- Safe Handling of Bees
Division 2 (may do 1 to 2 years): Exhibit one of the following:
- Extracted honey - 2 one-pound jars, shown in glass or clear plastic, screw-top jars.
- Chunk honey (comb in jar) - 2 one-pound jars (wide-mouth - glass or clear plastic).
- Cut-comb honey - 2 one- pound boxes (These are usually 4½” x 4½” in size)
- Working with Honey Bees - Present a topic from the manual on a poster to teach fair goers about working with honey bees.
Division 3 (may do multiple years):
Exhibit two of the four kinds of honey listed below
- Extracted Honey - 2 one-pound jars (glass or clear plastic).
- Chunk Honey (comb in jar) - 2 one-pound jars (wide-mouth - glass or clear plastic).
- Cut-Comb Honey - 2 one-pound boxes. Boxes are usually 4½” x 4½” in size "
- Comb Honey - 2 sections (honey built by bees in frames of wood commonly called "sections." Boxes are usually 4½” x 4½” in size)
- Prepare an educational display about honey bees or beekeeping.
Independent Study: Grades 9 - 12
- Advanced topic - Learn all you can about a beekeeping topic and present it on a poster. Include a short manuscript, pictures, graphs, and list the works cited to describe what you did and what you learned. Title your poster “Advanced Beekeeping - Independent Study.”
- Mentoring - Exhibit a poster that shows how you mentored a younger 4-H member. Include your planning, the time you spent, the challenges and advantages of mentoring, and how the experience might be useful in your life. Photographs and other documentation are encouraged. Title your poster “Advanced Beekeeping - Mentor.”
State Fair Entry: ONE entry from Division 1: Unlimited entries from Divisions 2 & 3 (one per exhibitor) may be chosen
Check our Pinterest boards at https://www.pinterest.com/monroecountyin4h/boards/ for more ideas.