These programs help 4-H members develop their ability to speak in front of groups, learn to express their own opinions, develop leadership, poise, and personal confidence and organize topics in logical order for explanation. The contest is typically held in May but can change so please check the footnotes for details. We try really hard to be encouraging at this competition as it is supposed to be fun!
Questions? Contact the Coordinator Vicky Gianni at 219-365-6999
Rules of Demonstration
- Should be of a practical nature.
- Special, elaborate, or expensive equipment is not needed.
- The use of any live animal is not allowed.
- The demonstration categories are: Color/ Texture/ Design; Foods; General; Livestock; Mechanical Science/ Safety; Natural Resources; Plants; Pleasure Animals; Team.
- Mini 4-H members are limited to one “Show and Tell” demonstration.
- All others are limited to three demonstrations.
- All grades are based on current academic year.
- Members are to set up and present their own demo as much as possible.
- County Demonstrations may be presented during the State Fair. (Check the Indiana State Fair website for days and times)
- Mini- (grades K-2) 1 minutes or less
- Clover- (grades 3-5) 3-5 minutes
- Junior- (grades 6-8) 5-7 minutes
- Senior- (grades 9-12) 5-10 minutes
Rules of Public Speaking
- Junior & Senior winners of the county activity may be eligible to participate at the State contest held during the Indiana State Fair.
- The topic for public speaking can be whatever the member decides.
- All members are limited to one speech
- Clover (grades 3-5) 3 to 5 minutes
- Junior (grades 6-8) 3 to 5 minutes
- Senior (grades 9-12) 5 to 7 minutes