Barn Superintendent & Project Leader: Scott Bachert 219-405-0197
Asst Superintendent & Project Leader(s): Russ Hammer 219-261-3794
Mark Streitmatter 219-866-4400 & Todd Denton 219-863-5804
- Swine Show Order for 2020: Yorkshire, Berkshire, Crossbred, Poland China, Hereford, Chester White, Hampshire, Spot, Landrace, Tamworth, Duroc
- See chart on page 14 of this Insight Book for the 2020 4-H Animal ID Requirements for County ONLY & State Fair, along with deadlines for 4-H Online Enrollment.
- All Check-in and Judging times & dates may be found on the charts on Page 3 of this Insight Book.
- NEW FOR 2020 Entries: ALL SWINE entries will be accepted Saturday, July 25th from 12 a.m. - 10 a.m. (CST)
- Weigh in: Saturday, July 25th, 7:00 a.m.-12:00 noon
- All Swine EXCEPT AUCTION ANIMALS will be released at the end of the open Swine Show (Wednesday) and must vacate the barn by midnight on Thursday.
- All animal class entries must be entered into fairentry.com by July 8.
- All Current Record sheets/manuals are due to your club leader by July 8
- If any part of your exhibit is on a poster, it must follow the poster rules stated in the front of this Insight book It is REQUIREDthat all posters, notebooks, and display boards include a reference list indicating where information was obtained, giving credit to the original author, to complete the 4-H member’s exhibit. This reference list should/might include website links, people and professionals interviewed, books, magazines, etc. It is recommended this reference list be attached to the back of a poster or display board, be the last page of a notebook, or included as a part of the display visible to the public. A judge is not to discredit an exhibit for the manner in which references are listed.
- Slick clipping or body shaving of 4-H barrows & gilts is prohibited. Animals that are slick clipped or body shaved will not be allowed to exhibit. A minimum of one half inch of hair on the body of hogs is preferred by the packers that purchase and process these animals. Any animal deemed as having too short of hair (less than 1/2”) by packer/buyer will be severely discounted. This applies to both auction and “out” hogs. 4-H members will not receive carcass payment for animals that are condemned.
- A maximum of 5 animals may be shown, with no more than 3 of one gender.
- All Swine will be required to receive a swine flu vaccination. Swine should be vaccinated within 120 days of the opening day of the exhibition. Swine should be vaccinated according to the label directions which often require two doses of vaccine. If exhibited swine will be sold for slaughter, careful attention to vaccination withdrawal times is warranted. Most influenza vaccines have a required 21 day withdrawal period prior to slaughter. The swine animal affidavit will be required during check in at the county fair.
ANIMAL ID REQUIREMENTS
- Barrows & Gilts - SEE CHART ON PAGE 14 FOR 2020 4-H ANIMAL ID REQUIREMENTS FOR COUNTY ONLY & STATE FAIR & DEADLINES FOR 4-H ONLINE ENROLMENT
- New for 2020 - ALL SWINE must use the RFID Jasper County tags provided by the Extension Office and must be in place prior to arriving at the fair
REFERENCE MANUAL: Swine Resource Handbook Ohio State University (4-H 134R). Each grade will have its own record sheet. Each family will have a shared Reference Manual to keep throughout their 4-H Swine competition years.
BARROWS AND GILTS
- All purebred barrows and gilts are required to have individual registration papers or proof of application for registration papers that will be checked at the fair.
- Classes and prizes will be awarded for barrows and gilts in all the breeds, including crossbred.
- All 4‑H swine must have been farrowed on or after January 1 of current year.
- All gilts and barrows must be identified with standard ear notches. Animals MUST be ear notched by May 15. Animals with fresh ear notches will not be allowed to unload at the fair.
- 4‑H barrows will be listed according to breeds and weight, and divided into classes with approximately 10 in a class.
- All registered gilts will be divided into classes by birthdate, with no more than 30 days age difference in a class. Crossbred gilts will be listed according to weights and divided into classes with approximately 10 in a class.
- The Skeet Houston Memorial Award for 4-H Swine Achievement will be presented to an outstanding 4-H Swine member.
- Mandi Blackburn Award: Awarded to a 10 year swine member, and is based on his or her presentation for the
4 H’s of 4-H plus their drive/helpfulness to others/attitude over the years.