The educational 4-H dairy program and related activities (such as workshops and tours) provide youth a fun and hands-on learning experience which develops both dairy subject skills (such as nutrition, housing, and health care) and life skills (such as responsibility, decision-making, nurturing, and communications) under the direction of caring adults.
Barn Superintendent & Project Leader: Andy DeVries Assistant: Brittnay DeVries
Show. Show order for 2020 is: Crossbred, Holstein, Brown Swiss, Milking Shorthorn, Jersey, Guernsey, and Ayrshire
Dairy Female Project Rules:
- All animal class entries must be entered into fairentry.com by July 8.
- All Current Record sheets/manuals are due to your club leader by July 8.
- All dairy animals must be owned by regularly enrolled 4-H members of Jasper County. Partnership of parent and club member is acceptable. EXCEPTIONS: Dairy Heifers (under 2 years old by time of show) may be leased subject to the approval of both the 4-H Council and the 4-H Youth Development Educator.
- ALL LEASED Dairy Heifers must submit a copy of completed LEASE FORM to the Extension Office no later than May 15. Only Heifers under 2 years of age at time of show may be leased.
- In order to exhibit all livestock species at the Jasper County Fair, the animal(s) must be registered on the 4Honline website by required deadline (Dairy Female is May 15).
- Purebreds and grades will show together by breeds. For county fair only, crossbreds of 100% dairy breeds are allowed.
- No registration papers will be required at the county fair, but will be for State Fair Exhibits.
- Registration numbers will be needed to complete the 4HOnline Animal Identification.
- A club member may show only one animal in a class.
- See 4-H Completion Rules for information on manual completion requirements.
- Posters must follow 4-H Poster, Notebook & Display Board Rules. It is REQUIRED that all posters, notebooks, and display boards include a reference list indicating where information was obtained, giving credit to the original author, to complete the 4-H member’s exhibit. This reference list should/might include website links, people and/professionals interviewed, books, magazines, etc. It is recommended this reference list be attached to the back of a poster or display board, be the last page of a notebook, or included as a part of the display visible to the public. A judge is not to discredit an exhibit for the manner in which references are listed.
Dairy Female ID Requirements: 840 RFID tag is REQUIRED
- Dairy Heifers only: A copy of lease agreement must turned in to the Extension office on or before date of required 4HOnline registration
- Remember, only heifers < 2 years of age by date of show may be leased
- 4-H member must bring original copy of lease with them to state fair check-in
REFERENCE MANUAL: Dairy Resource Handbook Ohio State University (4-H 127R). Each grade will have its own record sheet. Each family will have a shared Reference Manual to keep throughout their 4-H Dairy competition years.
Dairy Female Classes & Awards
Show order for 2020 is: Crossbred, Holstein, Brown Swiss, Milking Shorthorn, Jersey, Guernsey, and Ayrshire
- Spring heifer calf — born March 1, 2020 to May 15, 2020
- Winter heifer calf — born December 1, 2019 to February 28, 2020
- Fall heifer calf — born September 1, 2019 to November 30, 2019
- Summer yearling heifer — born June 1, 2019 to August 31, 2019
- Spring yearling heifer — born March 1, 2019 to May 31, 2019
- Winter yearling heifer — born December 1, 2018 to February 28, 2019
- Fall yearling heifer — born September 1, 2018 to November 30, 2018
Overall Junior Champion & Reserve Junior Champion
- Yearling heifer in milk — born September 1, 2018 or later
2-years old or more Cows
- Junior 2-year-old cow — born March 1, 2018 to August 31, 2018
- Senior 2-year-old cow — born September 1, 2017 to February 29, 2018
- Junior 3-year-old cow - born March 1, 2017 to August 31, 2017
- Senior 3-year-old cow - born September 1, 2016 to February 28, 2017
- 4-year-old cow - born September 1, 2015 to August 31, 2016
- 5-year-old cow — born September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2015
- Aged cow six years and older, born prior to September 1, 2012
- Aged cow (dry) - born prior to September 1, 2015
Overall Senior Champion & Reserve Senior Champion Overall
Grand Champion Overall Dairy Female
Reserve Grand Champion Overall Dairy Female
- Intermediate Showmanship
- Junior Showmanship
- Beginner Showmanship
- Champion of Champions Dairy Showman