This is your online resource for the 4-H Geocaching project. The manual and record sheet are below.
If you have any questions, please refer to the 4-H Requirement Book or contact the Extension Office.
*If you have trouble accessing any of these documents below because of a disability, please contact the Jackson Co. Extension Office at (812) 358-6101 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the requirements for this project:
LEISURE EDUCATION: GEOCACHING
All posters, notebooks, and display boards must include a reference list indicating where information was obtained, giving credit to the original author, to complete the 4-H member’s exhibit. This reference list should/might include web site links, people and professionals interviewed, books, magazines, etc. It is recommended this reference list be attached to the back of a poster or display board, be the last page of a notebook, or included as part of the display visible to the public. A judge is not to discredit an exhibit for the manner in which references are listed.
Create a poster or notebook on some aspect of Geocaching. Some topics might be:
- Geocaching Safety Tips
- Helpful Geocaching Tools
- How to Prepare for a Geocache Outing
- How to Read a Compass
- How to use coordinates on a GPS device to find geocaches
- Or some other interesting geocache topic, etc.
Create a Record Book/Notebook to keep track of all of your geocache adventures
- Include log records, photos of your finds (such as trackables, geocoins, etc.)
Create a geocache that is ready to hide
- Include official log finders to sign, cache explanation, tradable items, First to find reward, etc. Be sure to decorate it with camouflage paint or tape to blend with the intended hiding location.
Plan and conduct a geocaching outing and document the event with photos.
- Plan a “Cache In Trash Out” Community Service project. Include finds and interesting details of the adventure.
Display a collection of your favorite geocache found items
- Use your imagination and create your own project related to geocaching. Each year should show development and increase in scope and difficulty.