This is your online resource for the 2020 4-H Construction Toys project. The manual and record sheet is below. If you have questions, please refer to the 4-H Handbook or contact the Extension Office.
*If you have trouble accessing any of these documents below because of a disability, please contact the Jackson Co. Extension Office at (812) 358-6101 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the requirements for this project:
CREATIVE & EXPRESSIVE ARTS: CONSTRUCTION TOYS
The Construction Toys project allows 4-H members to create projects with Lego’s, K-Nex, Construx, Erector, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, Duplo Blocks, craft sticks, etc. There are lots of different things you can do with this project. There are not a lot of guidelines with this project, which allows you to be creative! Note: Attach to project - 4-H-618A-W "4-H Craft Information Card" for description of work completed on the project.
Project Exhibit Guidelines:
- Complete a record sheet.
- Exhibit may be of any design.
- Please check each level for specific size requirements.
- Blocks may be glued together, but isn’t mandatory.
- Members should construct a more advanced project each year.
- If multiple pieces make up the exhibit, a photograph of the complete exhibit should be attached to the exhibit so the total exhibit can properly be displayed.
- For safety purposes any craft exhibit that resembles a sword, knife, or look-a-like weapon will be judged but will not be displayed.
Project suggestions and ideas below are to get you started. (These are SUGGESTIONS - they are not requirements for this project.) You can be as creative as your personal skills allow.
Beginner: (Grades 3-5)
Kits are recommended. Construct a character such as an animal, a person, a statue, or a form of transportation.
- Exhibit must be securely attached (to help prevent possible damage to project while on public display) on a sturdy base that is no more than 12”L x12”W x12"H. It can be smaller.
Intermediate: (Grades 6-8)
Work on your creativity. Design your own model. A kit is NOT recommended. Construct a structure, a scence, or some form of transportation (car, plane, etc.).
- Exhibit must be securely attached (to help prevent possible damage to project while on public display) on a sturdy base that is no more than 18”L x18”W x18"H. It can be smaller.
Advanced: (Grades 9-12)
Recommend trying moveable or motorized part(s). Construct a tractor on a farm, a space shuttle with lunar module, windmill and house, etc.
- Exhibit must be securely attached (to help prevent possible damage to project while on public display) on a sturdy base that is no more than 24”L x24”W x24"H. It can be smaller.
Additional Tips: Remember the exhibit must be transported and moved to display area. You may want to consider how well your project holds/stays together.