What is YQCA?
The Youth for the Quality Care of Animals Program (YQCA) is a program that will provide quality assurance education on all livestock species. YQCA is a national quality assurance program for youth ages 8 to 21 with a focus on three core pillars: food safety, animal well-being, and character development. Certification is an annual requirement for Indiana 4-H members to exhibit livestock.
YQCA includes information for youth exhibiting Swine, Beef Cattle, Dairy Cattle, Sheep, Goats, Rabbits, and Poultry. YQCA is available as an online program or an in-person training. Youth may complete the training online (http://yqca.org/) at a cost of $12 or they can participate in an in-person training for $3. Financial assistance is available for those who need it for the in-person trainings only.
Want to understand more about the background and purpose of YQCA? Check out the Purdue Barn Chatter at https://ag.purdue.edu/agcomm/Pages/171212BC.aspx. There is a written and audio version.
In order to exhibit beef cattle, dairy cattle, swine, sheep, goats, poultry and rabbits, 4-H members must be certified through the Youth for the Quality Care of Animals. This is an annual program that can be completed via online modules or in-person trainings. More information about YQCA is available at http://yqca.org. This requirement should not be viewed as just another rule, but rather as an important educational opportunity for 4-H livestock members. Making this an exhibition rule is how we are ensuring that 4-H members learn about quality assurance, but it really has nothing to do with animal exhibition. The real reason we are requiring this this is so youth learn best management practices with their animals. The goals of having 4-H members complete the YQCA program include ensuring that youth will be more prepared to be ambassadors for animal agriculture in their role as youth livestock exhibitors; that animals from youth livestock programs are treated with the utmost care, and 4-H members are contributing to a safe, wholesome food supply."
How to get certified:
There are three ways to complete your certification (choose one):
- PORK QUALITY ASSURANCE: Youth who have completed the Pork Quality Assurance program and have a current certificate, do not need to take YQCA, unless their certification expires before the fair.
- YQCA ONLINE: Youth may complete the entire YQCA course online, and pay a $12 fee. Be sure to log in using your 4honline account. There is also an option to test out for youth in their first year of each level. Now through April 30, 2020, online cost is only $9! Those wishing to take part in the flash sale will need to purchase $9 web-based training coupons from YQCA. Coupon order forms are in the related files or may be obtained by emailing email@example.com. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO RECEIVE THE DISCOUNTED PRICE. Once the order form and proof of payment is received, coupons will be issued and returned to the purchaser within 3-5 business days. Coupons MUST be put towards a web-based training in the month of April.
- YQCA IN PERSON: Youth may attend an in-person training for a $3 fee. Youth must register and pay online prior to the training. Financial assistance is available upon request for the in-person trainings only.
2020 Franklin County Trainings will be scheduled as soon as we are cleared to have in-person trainings.
YQCA is still required to show livestock in Indiana.
You must register and pay online, BEFORE the in-person class!
You can find a detailed document (with screenshots) in the files below to help you see how to register for classes. You can also contact the Purdue Extension- Franklin County Office with any questions you may have. We have computers in the office you can use to register for a class.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- When do I need to have my certification complete?: You must complete your certification prior to checking in your animal at the Fair.
- What if I show multiple animal species?: You only need to complete the certification once per year, and that will apply to each of your animals.
- How long does the in-person class take?: 1-2 hours
- Can I attend a YQCA In-Person Training in another county?: Yes, if our schedule does not work for you, you can attend a class in any other county.
- What if I still have a valid PQA Certification?: Currently, if you have a valid PQA Certification, it will be honored until it expires, even if you show multiple species.
- What if I do not want to use a credit card online to register for a class?: You may contact the Purdue Extension- Franklin County Office to purchase a coupon with cash or check. You will then be able to use this code to register for your in-person trainings.
- When should I register for a class?: Each year
- What if I do not remember my 4HOnline email address?: Contact our office, and we can tell you what it is. If you do not sign in with 4HOnline, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to gain access to your completion information. If you do not remember your password, you can reset that yourself using the "Forgot Password" option at https://in.4honline.com
- How long is my certification valid?: Currently, it is a one year certification.
- Do Mini 4-H Members need a YQCA Certification?: No, this is for 4-H members in grades 3-12.