WHAT: 2019 Indiana Organic Grain Farmer Meeting
WHO: Organic, transitional, and conventional grain farmers; Agricultural professionals; Agronomists/Crop consultants
WHERE: Beck Agricultural Center, 4550 U.S. 52 W, West Lafayette, Indiana 47906
WHEN: March 6 and 7, 2019
Join us for Indiana's only conference focused on organic grain!
On Wednesday, March 6 and Thursday, March 7, 2019, Purdue Extension Organic Agriculture, in collaboration with Jasper County SWCD and the IDEA Farm Network, will host the 2019 Indiana Organic Grain Farmer Meeting at the Beck Agricultural Center in West Lafayette, Indiana. This annual meeting has been expanded to two days for added learning and networking opportunities to support the growing organic grain sector in Indiana.
Participants have the option to register for one or both days of the program. Attendee registration is open through February 27 or until capacity is reached.
- $40 March 6 only
- $50 March 7 only
- $80 Both Days
Lunch is included with each days' registration, and will be catered by The Juniper Spoon.
Registration is now closed.
DAY ONE (at capacity):
On March 6, a full-day workshop focused on transitioning to organic grain production will be offered. The workshop is designed for farmers exploring a transition of acreage to organic grain production and those with ground in transition. Presentations and farmer panel discussions will cover:
- Certification and transition process
- National Organic Program
- Organic and transitional crop budgets and markets
- Basics of organic grain production
- Transition strategies.
On March 7, we will build on a successful 2018 meeting with breakout sessions, farmer panels, networking time, and an industry trade show. Topics will cover:
- Weed management
- Soil fertility and crop rotations
- Organic hay production
- Organic crop insurance options
- Value-added food-grade production and markets
- Stored grain management, and more.
View the full program agenda now!
2019 Indiana Organic Grain Farmer Meeting DRAFT Agenda
Confirmed speakers include:
- Thor Oechsner, Oechsner Farms
- Jack Geiger, Geiger Farm
- Gary McDonald, Organic Resources
- Scott Myers, Woodlyn Acres Farm, LLC
- Sandy Syburg, White Oak Farm / Purple Cow Organics
- Andy Ambriole, Bio-Steward Farms
- Joe Mills, Mills Livestock Farm
- Roxann Brixen, Great American Insurance Group
- Ryan Koory, Mercaris
- Brad Schnitz, Ecocert ICO
- Mark Seeley, OnMark Certification Services
- Michael Langemeier, Purdue University
- Ariana Torres, Purdue University
- Klein Ileleji, Purdue University
- Michael O'Donnell, Purdue Extension
- Dan Perkins, Jasper County SWCD and IDEA Farm Network
SPONSOR AND EXHIBITOR OPPORTUNITIES (MARCH 7):
Exhibitor registration is now closed.
Interested in supporting this educational and networking event as an exhibitor? Details about are available here: Sponsor and Exhibitor Information Document. Please contact Michael O'Donnell at 765-284-8414 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. NOTE - All sponsor opportunities have been filled, but we have plenty of exhibitor spaces still available. Exhibitor registration is open through February 21 or until capacity is reached.
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Great Harvest Organics (lunch sponsor)
- AgriEnergy Resources
- Albert Lea Seed
- Alltech Crop Science
- FarmPower Implements
- Grain Millers
- Shuter Soil Health Solutions
- WOLF Co-op
A limited block of rooms at the Four Points by Sheraton in West Lafayette is being held at a conference rate of $129.00 per night through February 2, 2019. To book a room at the block rate, contact Four Points by Sheraton at 765-463-5511 for the ‘Indiana Organic Grain Meeting’ block.
To stay informed about other programs offered by Purdue Extension Organic Agriculture, sign up for our email list.