The Heritage Skills Classes provide the opportunity to learn family heritage and heirloom skills. Please plan to arrive prior to your starting time.
- Registration accepted through February 1, 2019. Click here for the Heritage Skills Registration Form.
- Prepaid registration is required and includes lunch. Registration fees will be held until after the event. If the class is cancelled your check will be returned.
Full Day Classes
8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., lunch will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Beginning Crochet- $30.00
- Taught by Jill Cohen – limited to 5 participants
- You will learn beginning techniques to crochet a dishcloth.
- Registration fee includes a kit including a crochet hook and cotton yarn.
Huck Embroidery- $35.00
- Taught by Margaret Whitmer – limited to 8 participants
- You will learn and practice huck stitches. For a final project, participants can choose between a bookmark, huck towel (extra $5 or bring 24-36” of huck), or study more stitches.
- Registration fee includes kit of 1 yard of huck toweling, needles, and plastic bag.
- Participants must bring a sewing kit, scissors, floss, and #5 and/or #8 perle cotton.
Intermediate Knitting- $30.00
- Taught by Sue Martin – limited to 10 participants
- You will learn techniques such as alternate cast-on and bind off, increasing and decreasing, etc. After practicing with swatches, participants will make a dish cloth.
- Participants must bring size 8 knitting needles (any needle length), worsted weight yarn for swatching, and 1 ball of Sugar ‘n Cream or other 100% cotton yarn for dish cloth. Dishcloth pattern will be provided.
- Pre-requisite: Participants must know how to cast on, work knit and purl stitches, and bind off.
Spicy Spiral Table Runner- $40.00
- Taught by Mary Ann Lienhart Cross– limited to 20 participants
- You will learn how to make a 25” x 42” spiral table runner using different color ranges from light to dark.
- Participants will receive a complete supply list after registration is received.
- Pre-requisites: Participants must know how to read a ruler, use a sewing machine, and use an iron to press. Participants will complete pre-sewing prior to class.
Utensil Basket- $40.00
- Taught by Lisa Hernley – limited to 8 participants
- You will learn how to weave reed material into a utensil basket.
- Registration fee includes round slotted base, reed materials, and rim materials.
- Registration fee includes round slotted base, reed material, and rim materials. Participants must bring a pair of sharp scissors.
Half Day Classes
Morning classes: 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Afternoon classes: 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Beginning Wool Applique – Morning - $25.00
- Taught by Judy Hunsberger – limited to 5 participants
- You will make a pincushion with wool applique on cotton using blanket stitch, french knots, and cross-stitch.
- Participants must bring scissors. All other supplies will be provided in a kit. Participants can share a steam iron and portable ironing mat.
Paper Folded Jewelry – Morning and Afternoon - $20.00
- Taught by Elaine Pyle – limited to 7 participants
- You will learn how to cut, roll, and fold vellum paper into sculpture-like parts to make a necklace and pair of earrings.
- Participants must bring needle nose pliers. All other supplies will be provided in the kit.
- Participants must not have adverse reactions to rubber cement.
Toothbrush Rag Rug - Afternoon - $20.00
- Taught by Lois Yoder– limited to 6 participants
- You will learn how to make a small table topper toothbrush mat.
- Participants must bring scissors, 2 pieces of pre-washed cotton fabric (1 1/2 yard each) in coordinating colors (fabrics that don’t have an obvious right or wrong side or batik fabric will make this easier), and throw pillow (to pin rug to). Registration fee includes toothbrush needle.
Purdue University is an affirmative action, equal access/equal opportunity institution.