About the 4-H Bicycle Project
Do you love to ride your bike? The 4-H bicycle project includes hands-on learning to teach you more about bicycle maintenance, operation, road safety, and staying healthy by riding your bike!
Contact the Marion County 4-H office:
Bicycle Project Manuals
You can learn more about this project by completing one of the project activity guides:
- Bicycle I (beginning riders): Bicycling for Fun
- Bicycle II (advanced riders): Wheels in Motion
- Don’t Get Stuck: Fix It – DVD on preventative maintenance and repair tips
Showcasing What You’ve Learned
You can create a poster exhibit to showcase what you’ve learned while working your bicycle project. Project exhibits are submitted for judging at the annual Marion County Showcase.
- Bicycle project exhibit guidelines for 4-H members grades 3-12
- Make sure to label your poster with your topic and include a reference list. Bring your completed manual(s) to judging, too.
- Marion County 4-H poster exhibit guidelines and tips
Advancing to the State Fair
- No, bicycle project exhibits are not eligible to advance to the State Fair. However, each county can send one junior (grades 3 - 7) and one senior (grades 8 - 12) to the State 4-H Bicycle Rodeo held during the Indiana State Fair. Contact the Marion County Extension Office if you are interested in representing Marion County. Rodeo activities you will have to complete include a written exam, maintenance/safety check, parts identification, skill event, balance test, figure eight steering and balance tests, and single, double and zigzag obstacle course.
Cloverbuds (Grades K-2)
- Bicycling is an excellent activity to stay healthy while having fun! Cloverbuds may exhibit a poster or notebook on one of the following:
- Parts of a bike
- Safety equipment
- Hand signals
- Street signs
- My bike adventures
- Cloverbud projects are for exhibition only (not judged), so there are no scorecards, and exhibits are not eligible to advance to the State Fair.
More Bicycle Project Resources
See Indiana 4-H’s bicycle project page for more resources.