There will be no State Fair exhibits for this project.
- The Pet manuals are divided into levels according to the following breakdown:
Level 1 Grades 3, 4, & 5
Level 2 Grades 6, 7, & 8
Level 3 Grades 9 and above
- Manuals may be purchased, if desired. Members will use the same manual for more than one year.
- Members are strongly encouraged to attend activities and participate in the learning experiences offered for their level each year.
- The Pet record sheet, signed by your leader, must be checked at the time of Pet Show Registration.
- Record sheets will then be placed in your green folder and turned in at the county fair. 4-H leaders may grade record sheets.
Exhibit Requirements: Do one of the following:
- Exhibit your pet at the 4-H Pet Show, held during the 4-H Fair.
- Exhibit a Pet educational poster. (Refer to page 44 in this handbook for details)
- Do an Interactive Demonstration.
Pet Show Rules
- Pets that can be shown in the 4-H Pet Project include, but are not limited to: hamsters, gerbils, mice, Guinea Pigs, lizards, iguanas, ferrets, canaries, parakeets, turtles, frogs, snakes, Pot-Bellied Pigs, etc. Animals that fit in other 4-H project categories (dogs, cats, fish, rabbits, chickens, ducks, etc.) are not eligible for the Pet project.
- 4-H’ers may exhibit only one pet in the 4-H Pet show.
- All pets should be in the possession of and cared for by the 4-H’er no later than May 15.
- Pets will be taken to the fair on the day of judging and will return home after the show.
- Pets must be taken to the fair caged, contained, etc. It will be the responsibility of the 4-H’er to keep the pet contained during the show, but the 4-H’er must be able to handle the pet if the judge requests it.
- Pets must be exhibited in their living environments. The cage/aquarium will be considered as part of the total judging. The judge must be able to see the pet in the environment –no hiding!
- Pets must be clean and show no signs of disease, parasites, etc.
General Rules For Interactive Demonstrations
- Interactive Demonstrations may be given on any topic related to pets.
- Refer to “Verbal Communication Events and Activities” in this handbook for details.
Level 1: Pet Pals BU-6359
Level 2: Scurrying Ahead BU-6360
Level 3: Scaling The Heights BU-6361
Record Sheet: CO-636a used for all levels (Rev 10/13)