As a Purdue Extension intern, you can help improve the quality of life in one of 92 Indiana counties.
From Main Street to the farm gate, Purdue Extension connects communities, families, businesses, and farms to world-renowned research from Purdue University. We do it by creating experiential, practical learning opportunities to educate and empower millions of Hoosiers. No two days will be the same, but in each one you’ll see the differences you’re making.
Our interns work closely with county Extension Educators to help them identify critical needs, implement and oversee vibrant, research-based educational programs, and offer community resources and expertise. Interns also undertake a special project of your choice for the summer. Over eight to 10 weeks, a paid Purdue Extension internship will help you hone skills employers want, gain a diversity of knowledge in community service, and enjoy fast-paced experiences in 4-H Youth Development, Agriculture & Natural Resources, Community Development, and / or Health & Human Sciences.
During a Purdue Extension internship, you will:
- Acquire hands-on experience in a professional team atmosphere associated with developing and delivering educational programs
- Gain familiarity with county Extension office procedures, responsibilities, and staff
- Develop skills in time management, prioritizing, and acceptance of responsibilities
- Engage with diversity (age, gender, socioeconomic, ethnicity) within a community
- Participate in a high-performing system where staff and community volunteers work closely together to achieve common goals
- Build a robust, varied portfolio of experiences of value to future employers
Preferred Educational Background
College juniors and seniors who are eligible for acceptance into graduate school in an area of study related to Purdue Extension’s mission to “advance agriculture, the environment, human health and well-being, and communities.”
College graduates with bachelor’s degrees in appropriate degree areas (e.g., health & human sciences, youth development and education, agriculture & natural resources, economic and community development) and already accepted into a graduate program related to Purdue Extension’s mission.
- Enjoy working with people and building teams and partnerships
- Be community-focused with demonstrated successful experience in community service-learning projects
- Be willing to consider employment in Purdue Extension or pursue other careers within Purdue University following completion of graduate degree
- Have experience working with diverse audiences
- Be bilingual; Spanish-language skills in speaking, reading, and writing are an asset
How to Apply
We are accepting applications until October 31st. Applications must be complete to be considered for a position. To apply, please visit: puext.in/internapp
For more information, contact:
Staff Development Coordinator, Purdue Extension