Soil & Water Science
- Posters must be 22” x 28”, displayed horizontally.
- Posters should be mounted on a stiff backing – plywood, foam board or very stiff cardboard, covered in plastic.
- For more information about poster construction, see “Poster Construction Hints” in the front of the Rule Book.
- All posters, notebooks, and display boards must include a reference list indicating where information was obtained, giving credit to the original author, to complete the 4-H member’s exhibit. This reference list should/might include web site links, people and professionals interviewed, books, magazines, etc. It is recommended this reference list be attached to the back of a poster or display board, be the last page of a notebook, or included as part of the display visible to the public. A judge is not to discredit an exhibit for the manner in which references are listed.
- Complete at least three (3) activities each year in your project manual.
Exhibit Requirements: Choose ONE from the list for your grade level
Level 1 – Grades 3-5
- A poster related to an activity from the level 1 manual
- A poster and/or notebook of a soil or water related science experiment appropriate for grades 3-5
Level 2 – Grades 6-8
- A poster related to an activity from the level 2 manual
- A poster and/or notebook of a soil or water related science experiment appropriate for grades 6-8
Level 3 – Grades 9-12
- A poster related to an activity from the level 3 manual
- A poster and/or notebook of a soil or water related science experiment appropriate for grades 9-12
- Independent Study – Learn all you can about a soil and/or water topic, program, facility, project, etc. and present it on a poster or in a notebook. Include a short manuscript, pictures, graphs, and list the works cited to describe what you did and what you learned. Title your poster or notebook, “Advanced Soil and Water Science – Independent Study”.
- Mentoring – Exhibit a poster or notebook that shows how you mentored a younger 4-H member. Include your planning, the time you spent, the challenges and advantages of mentoring, and how the experience might be useful in your life. Photographs and other documentation are encouraged. Title your poster, “Advanced Soil and Water Science – Mentor”.