To exhibit beef cattle, dairy cattle, swine, sheep, meat goats, dairy goats, poultry and rabbits, 4-H members must be certified through the Youth for the Quality Care of Animals program. This is an annual program that can be completed via online modules or in-person trainings. More information about YQCA is available at http://yqca.org.
While this is a requirement, it should not be viewed as just another rule, but rather as an important educational opportunity for 4-H livestock members. Making this an exhibition requirement is how we are ensuring that 4-H members learn about quality assurance, but it really has nothing to do with animal exhibition. The real reason we are requiring this is so youth learn best management practices with their animals.
The goals of having 4-H members complete the YQCA program include ensuring that:
- Youth will be more prepared to be ambassadors for animal agriculture in their role as youth livestock exhibitors.
- Animals from youth livestock programs are treated with the utmost care.
- 4-H members are contributing to a safe, wholesome food supply.
All 4-H youth exhibiting the species listed above must be certified through the YQCA program by June 1, 2020 in order to be eligible to exhibit at the 2020 Whitley County 4-H Fair. This is also a requirement in order to exhibit at the Indiana State Fair in 2020.
How do you get started?
- First you must go to http://yqca.org and click on register.
- Select “Sign in with 4H Online Account”
- Now select “Indiana 4-H Youth Development” from the drop down box.
- Next you will sign in using your 4H Online email address and username.
- All children enrolled in your 4H Online account will now be listed under the member drop down box that you will see on the next screen.
- Select one youth.
- Next you will select their “course” by selecting their age as of 2019.
- Once you do this you will be given 2 options. Either “Web based Training” or “Instructor led Training” (There is a fee associated with this program, $3 dollars for the in-person training or $12 for the web based training.)
- If you select the “Instructor led training” or in-person, first you need to select our state (Indiana) and then select the training you would like to attend. (We currently have 1 trainings for YQCA listed in that drop down menu. They are called “Whitley County 4-H Center”)
- Once you have made this selection you will then need to pay for your training online using the methods listed. Then your 4-H’er can begin taking the course online or will now be registered and able to take the in-person training.
A Step-By-Step Instruction Guide is listed below in the Related Files area.
Due to the popularity, YQCA has found a way for coupons to be purchased via credit card instead of check/purchase order. Below under Related Files is a help document outlining how to utilize this type of payment option (page 2 of the document).
Using this approach DOES result in a processing fee of $.57 per transaction, which has been added to the flash sale price. This processing fee results in a total cost of $9.57 per coupon, rather than a flat rate of $9.00.
YQCA Update for 2020 Due to COVID-19
The following is the overview of options for YQCA for 2020: (If youth haven’t already completed their certification for this year.)
- During the month of April (April 1 – April 30), YQCA will be offering a 25% discount on web-based trainings, making them $9.
- Those wishing to take part in the flash sale will need to purchase $9 web-based training coupons from YQCA. Coupon order forms are attached to this message or may be obtained by emailing email@example.com. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO RECEIVE THE DISCOUNTED PRICE.
- Once the order form and proof of payment is received, coupons will be issued and returned to the purchaser within 3-5 business days.
- Coupons MUST be put towards a web-based training in the month of April. Coupon Order Form is below under Related Files.
- Youth who have already paid for a YQCA instructor-led training (on a date that has not yet passed), may log into their account and cancel their registration. a. If payment was received via credit card, their payment will be refunded.
- If payment was received via coupon code, that coupon code will be active again. This coupon code does not expire and would be able to be used in future years.
- To cancel a registered training
- Go to https://yqca.learngrow.io and login to the account.
- Select the course - you will have an option to "Cancel Registration”. This will cancel the training and refund the payment/re-activate the coupon code.
- In-person Training
- Since the April 25 in-person training is cancelled we have rescheduled a new date.
- In-person training will be held on June 1 at the Whitley County 4-H Center at 1 p.m.
- To register go to https://yqca.learngrow.io and login to your account through the 4HOnline side.
- Cost will be $3 and must be paid online through the YQCA website when you register.
- NEW Option now for 2020 ONLY: Alternative Education for County Only Exhibition- Animal Ethics Modules (Opens April 10th)
- This option is available for any youth who haven’t already completed their YQCA certification this year and are COUNTY ONLY exhibitors. (If you are exhibiting at the Indiana State Fair you must complete YQCA.) Youth shall complete the online Animal Ethics Modules and complete the Qualtrics survey to document their completion. Survey results will be sorted and shared with county staff.
- Online Animal Ethics Modules: https://extension.purdue.edu/4h/Pages/Online-Animal-Ethics-Program.aspx