To exhibit beef cattle, dairy cattle, swine, sheep, meat goats, dairy goats, poultry and rabbits, 4-H members must be certified through the Youth for the Quality Care of Animals program. This is an annual program that can be completed via online modules or in-person trainings. More information about YQCA is available at http://yqca.org.
While this is a requirement, it should not be viewed as just another rule, but rather as an important educational opportunity for 4-H livestock members. Making this an exhibition requirement is how we are ensuring that 4-H members learn about quality assurance, but it really has nothing to do with animal exhibition. The real reason we are requiring this is so youth learn best management practices with their animals.
The goals of having 4-H members complete the YQCA program include ensuring that:
- Youth will be more prepared to be ambassadors for animal agriculture in their role as youth livestock exhibitors.
- Animals from youth livestock programs are treated with the utmost care.
- 4-H members are contributing to a safe, wholesome food supply.
All 4-H youth exhibiting the species listed above must be certified through the YQCA program by May 15, 2020 in order to be eligible to exhibit at the 2020 Whitley County 4-H Fair. This is also a requirement in order to exhibit at the Indiana State Fair in 2020.
How do you get started?
- First you must go to http://yqca.org and click on register.
- Select “Sign in with 4H Online Account”
- Now select “Indiana 4-H Youth Development” from the drop down box.
- Next you will sign in using your 4H Online email address and username.
- All children enrolled in your 4H Online account will now be listed under the member drop down box that you will see on the next screen.
- Select one youth.
- Next you will select their “course” by selecting their age as of 2019.
- Once you do this you will be given 2 options. Either “Web based Training” or “Instructor led Training” (There is a fee associated with this program, $3 dollars for the in-person training or $12 for the web based training.)
- If you select the “Instructor led training” or in-person, first you need to select our state (Indiana) and then select the training you would like to attend. (We currently have 2 trainings for YQCA listed in that drop down menu. They are called “Whitley County 4-H Center”)
- Once you have made this selection you will then need to pay for your training online using the methods listed. Then your 4-H’er can begin taking the course online or will now be registered and able to take the in-person training.
A Step-By-Step Instruction Guide is listed below in the Related Files area.
- This IS REQUIRED for the above listed species 4-H exhibitors in 2020 statewide!
- You MUST register online and pay online before attending an in-person training.
- 4-H Livestock exhibitors are only required to attend ONE training per year even if they are exhibiting multiple species of animals.
- Our 3 training dates for Whitley County are:
- January 23 @ 6 p.m. at the Whitley County 4-H Center
- March 9 @ 5:00 p.m. at the Whitley County 4-H Center
- April 25 @ 1:00 p.m. at the Whitley County 4-H Center