Most years when it starts getting cooler, I start cleaning and organizing in my home. I am horrible about putting things “away” and thinking I’ll get back to that later. Research has shown that de-cluttering helps reduce stress and helps us live in a healthier environment.
You can start with one small step – the junk drawer! We all have one – that drawer that inevitably gets filled with useless stuff that we rarely give a second thought to. (It’s called a “junk drawer” for a reason!)
Do you have 10 minutes? Let’s clean it out.
- FIRST take everything out and spread it out so that you can actually see it.
- THROW OUT anything that’s broken.
- MOVE things that belong somewhere else (and really put them away)!!
- Now get ruthless. Is there stuff in there you haven’t used, seen or thought about for 12 months? TOSS it. You don’t need it.
- PARE DOWN what’s left. How many rubber bands do you need? Paper clips? Pencils? Keep a few and get rid of the rest.
- Before you put everything back, CLEAN the drawer using all-purpose cleaner.
VIOLA! Clean drawer. Enjoy it, and repeat this makeover in 6 months. Once you have cleaned one item, many times it encourages you to continue to clean and organize.