All beef cattle, dairy cattle, swine, sheep, meat goats, dairy goats, poultry, and/or rabbits, 4-H members MUSTbe certified through the educational Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) program no later than July 9, 2021. All Vigo County PQA trainings have expired so all swine members must take a YQCA training course in 2021. Mini 4-Her’s are exempt from the training
This is an annual education program that can be completed via online modules ($12) or in-person training programs ($3). Read on for information on a test out option. In-person trainings held in Vigo County will be free to Vigo County 4-H Members who completed 4-H enrollment by January 15th. Thank you to local sponsors Rural King and The Equity for providing coupons for YQCA in Vigo County.
*New in 2021, All attendees will need to RSVP for a training prior to attending! Email email@example.com with training date and 4-Hers attending or call 812-462-3371. Social distancing is required at all trainings.
Vigo County trainings will be held:
• Saturday, January 30 from 11:00 AM-noon in the Community Center (Cattle Tag Day)
• Friday, May 7 from 6:30-7:30 PM in the Community Center (Poultry Meeting)
• Monday, May 17 from 6:30-8:00 PM in the Community Center (Swine Meeting)
• Thursday, May 20 from 7:00-8:00 PM in the Community Center (Goat Meeting)
• Monday, June 7 from 6:00-7:00 PM in the Community Center (Rabbit Meeting)
• Monday, June 21 from 4:00-5:00 PM in the Community Center
• Training dates coincide with Vigo County 4-H club meeting dates, but the training is open to any youth. 4-Her’s only attend one training, even if exhibiting multiple species.
Youth must register for this training online within two weeks following the in-person training! The following information tells you how to register online plus there is step-by-step instructions and there is a video on our website.
Instructions for Signing up for your YQCA Training in Vigo County at the Fairgrounds:
- Within two weeks following the training, go to yqca.org and select sign in with your 4HOnline account. You will be prompted to select a state, then enter the login information for your 4HOnline account. After logging in you will be given a list of active family members. Select a family member and start the account creation process.
- When you see the course list, select the $3 instructor led training appropriate for the 4-H member's age. PAY ATTENDTION TO THE YEAR OF THE COURSE AND SELECT A 2021 VIGO COUNTY COURSE!
- Select your payment method or enter the coupon code in all capital letters.
- Repeat for any additional family members.
- The instructor will mark attendees as complete.
- Return to the course menu and print your certificate for your records. A printed certificate is required for those exhibiting at the Indiana State Fair.
This is an important educational opportunity for 4-H livestock members. Making this an exhibition rule is how Indiana 4-H is ensuring that 4-H members learn about quality assurance (though actually, the program has nothing to do with animal exhibition). Indiana 4-H is requiring this program so youth learn best management practices with their animals. The YQCA program will:
- Ensure that youth livestock exhibitors are better prepared to be ambassadors for animal agriculture.
- Ensure that animals from youth livestock programs are treated with the utmost care.
- Ensure that 4-H members are contributing to a safe, wholesome food supply for consumers.
- Enhance the future of the livestock industry so that today’s youth producers can become more informed producers, consumers, and/or employees of the agriculture and food industry.
Test out option: This is only available to youth in the first year of intermediate (age 12), senior (age 15) and young adult (age 19). There is no test-out option for juniors. At the bottom of the “Course List” page are the test out options for these age levels.
- The test consists of 50 questions and requires a pass rate of 80% or better for certification.
- If passed, the certification will last through the end of a user’s age level (intermediate – ages 12, 13 and 14; senior – ages 15, 16, 17 and 18; and young adult – ages 19, 20 and 21.)
- The intermediate and young adult test-out course will cost $36 ($12 x 3 years of certification) and the senior test-out course will cost $48 ($12 x 4 years of certification.)
- Users will have one chance to take the test-out option. If they fail, they will not be provided another opportunity for that level of certification. If the youth passes, payment for the completed test out course will be required after the completion of the test. No payment is required to attempt the test.
- Participants attempting and not passing will be prompted to take the instructor-led training or web-based training annually.
YQCA Online Registration