ALL 4-H GENERAL LIVESTOCK/ANIMAL RULES SHALL APPLY!
Animal lease form is due in the Shelby County Extension Office by May 15. All 4-Hers showing Swine must be pqa/yqca certified whether you are selling your animal at the auction or not.
Workshop: Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. in the Show Arena
Show: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 – 8:00 a.m.
PREMIUMS: $6, $5, $4, $3, $2; Participation $1 SHOWMANSHIP PREMIUMS: $2, $1, $1
We will be having a Barrow and Gilt show. All gilts must be shown in the Gilt Show.
4-H SWINE ENTRY RULES
1. 4-H ONLINE -- Livestock must be owned by or leased (county exhibition only) and in possession of the 4-H member by May 15 of current year. This pertains to ALL 4-H Swine Exhibitors for County and State Fair. Siblings may have co-ownership of hogs. All 4-H Swine Exhibitors must complete State Swine Ownership Forms online by May 15th.
2. SHELBY COUNTY FAIR ENTRY FORM --All County 4-H Exhibitors must enter your Swine in their classes in the Fair Entry online program by May 15. There will be NO entries accepted after May 15. All county 4-H Exhibitors must also complete a Pen Reservation Form, and return to the Shelby County Extension Office. There will be NO entries accepted after May 15th.
3. All Swine must have an RFID tag. 4-Hers having state fair entry animals must come to the Extension Office to get this before May 15th for enrollment.
4. STATE FAIR ENTRIES – Pre-entry is required by June 1 on the State Fair website. You must have turned in DNA samples of hair by May 15th and must have an RFID tag. Slick clipping or body shaving of 4-H barrows and gilts is prohibited. Animals that are slick clipped or body shaved will not be allowed to exhibit. A minimum of one-half inch of hair on the body of hogs is preferred by the packers that purchase and process these animals. Hogs having less than one-half inch of hair on their body may be condemned by the processor. 4-H members will not receive carcass payment for animals that are condemned.
4-H SWINE HEALTH//SAFETY REGULATIONS:
Refer to 4-H General Livestock Animal rules.
4-H SWINE CLASS INFORMATION
1. Swine members may enroll and show no more than six (6) gilts and six (6) barrows (total of twelve  head). December gilts are not eligible to be shown at the State Fair.
2. Barrows only will be shown in the Barrow show. All gilts will be shown in the Gilt show.
3. Pigs with bloody or scabby ear notches will not be eligible for exhibition or the Livestock Auction.
4. There will be a 4-H class offered for all recognized breeds of purebred gilts, regardless of how many animals are entered and exhibited.
5. All registered, purebred, female swine must show registration papers at time of check-in.
6. Definition of a purebred barrow or gilt: an animal sired by a registered sire and from a registered dam of the same breed; all others are considered crossbred.
7. Barrows and Crossbred gilts will be weighed to determine classes and sale weight.
8. Barrow and Crossbred gilt classes will be determined after Weigh-In, by the 4-H Superintendent. Registered and crossbred Barrow classes and Crossbred gilts classes shall try not to exceed ten (10) in any one class.
9. Only those animals listed on one State Entry Form designating County Entries are eligible to show at the Shelby County Fair. Only those animals listed on one State Fair entry form designating State Entries are eligible to show at the State Fair. The same animals may appear on both entry forms, if two forms are needed.
10. Once an animal and 4-H member's name is registered on a weight card, the animal cannot be transferred to or shown by another member's name. Only one 4-H'er's name can appear with any one Animal Identification at Check-In time during the fair.
11. 4-H member is to designate at weigh-in whether it is a barrow or a gilt.
12. Hogs having less than one-half inch of hair on their body may be condemned by the processor. 4-H members will not receive carcass payment for animals that are condemned. Clip at your own risk.
ORDER OF SHOW: Berkshire, Chester White, Crossbred, Duroc, Hampshire, Landrace, Poland China, Spots, Tamworth, Yorkshire, and Other recognized breeds.
4-H SWINE GILT SECTIONS:
1. Gilt, Purebred, farrowed December, previous year*
2. Gilt, Purebred, farrowed January, current year
3. Gilt, Purebred, farrowed February, current year
4. Gilt, Purebred, farrowed March, current year
5. Gilt, Crossbred, divided by weight
6. Champion and Reserve Champion Female (Sections 1, 2, 3, 4,5)
7. Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion, Female, Overall Breeds. (All breeds will be championed during the early show.)
*December gilts are not eligible to be shown at the State Fair.
4-H BARROW SECTIONS:
At least two animals in a breed are needed for the breed to be recognized; otherwise breeds will show in the All Other Breeds section.
9. Chester White
13. Hereford Hogs
15. Poland China
19. All Other Breeds
20. Champion & Reserve Champion Barrow (Sections 8 - 19)
21. Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Barrow. (All breeds will be championed during the early show.)
See SHOWMANSHIP Section of this Handbook for rules.