ALL 4-H GENERAL LIVESTOCK/ANIMAL RULES SHALL APPLY!
ANIMAL OWNERSHIP/LEASE (COUNTY ONLY) FORM IS DUE IN THE SHELBY COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE BY MAY 15.
Show: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 – 5:00 p.m.
PREMIUMS: $6, $5, $4, $3, $2; Participation $1 SHOWMANSHIP PREMIUMS: $2, $1, $1
ID Date: May 9, 2020, 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. at the Fairgrounds
4-H SHEEP ENTRY RULES
1. 4-H ONLINE -- Livestock must be owned by or leased (county exhibition only) and in possession of the 4-H member, and retinal scanned by May 15 of current year. This pertains to ALL 4-H Sheep Exhibitors for County and State Fair. If the same sheep is enrolled by more than one 4-H member (brothers and sisters), only one retinal scan from that sheep needs to be submitted along with the family’s sheep enrollment forms. All 4-H Sheep Exhibitors must complete and submit State Ownership Forms online by May 15.
2. SHELBY COUNTY FAIR ENTRY -- All county 4-H Exhibitors must enter your sheep in their classes in the Fair Entry online program by May 31. There will be NO entries accepted after May 31. All county 4-H Exhibitors must also complete a Shelby County Pen Reservation Form, and return to the Shelby County Extension Office. Forms are due May 15. There will be NO entries accepted after May 15.
3. STATE FAIR ENTRIES – Pre-entry is required by June 1. These must be animals owned by the 4-Her and not a leased animal.
4-H SHEEP HEALTH/SAFETY REGULATIONS
Refer to 4-H General Livestock/Animal rules.
4-H SHEEP CLASS INFORMATION
1. 4-H Sheep members may enroll and show no more than six (6) ewes and six (6) market lambs (12 head total).
2. There will be a 4-H class offered for all recognized breeds of sheep, regardless of how many animals are entered and exhibited.
3. Any animal showing as 4-H purebred (registered) must have Breed Registration papers available for inspection by 4-H Superintendents before Sheep show. Entry blanks must carry Registration Number for each entry.
4. Definition of a purebred market lamb: an animal sired by a registered sire and from a registered dam of the same breed. All others are considered crossbred Registration number of sire and dam should be available, or registration paper on market lamb should be available.
5. CLASS SIZE LIMIT -- Registered and crossbred market lamb and ewe classes shall not exceed ten (10) in any one class.
6. The direct application of ice, ice water, alcohol, Freon or any other refrigerant to the hide of a lamb is strictly prohibited. This deceptive, fraudulent practice will cause the exhibitor and their animal(s) to be disqualified immediately.
7. MARKET LAMBS -- Classes will be broken by weight within breed classes if necessary with ideal class size being 7-10 animals.
8. CROSSBRED EWES -- Classes will be broken by weight within age classes if necessary.
9. 4-H Sheep shown in pair of ewe lambs, pair of yearling ewes, and/or pair of market lambs must be owned, entered, and shown by the 4-H members entering the pair class. This is not a family class.
10. All champion market lambs will be re-I.D.ed if requested by the Superintendent. The third place animal will be designated by the judge and given to the Superintendent in a sealed envelope.
11. 4-H member is to designate at weigh-in whether it is a market lamb or a breeding animal.
ORDER OF SHOW: Cheviot, Columbia, Corriedal, Crossbred, Dorset, Dorset Advantage, Hampshire, Montadale, Natural Color, Rambouillet, Shropshire, Southdown, and Suffolk and Other Recognized Breeds.
4-H SHEEP EWE SECTIONS:
Crossbred ewe age classes with more than ten (10) entries will be broken by weight. All pair classes must be owned by the same 4-H member.
1. Yearling Ewe, one year and under two by September 1, current year.
2. Pair of yearling Ewes
3. Ewe lamb, lambed after September 1, previous year
4. Pair of Ewe lambs
5. Champion and Reserve Ewe, Sections 1, 3
6. Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Ewe
4-H SHEEP MARKET LAMB SECTIONS:
11. Dorset 12. Dorset Advantage
15. Natural Colored
16. North Country Cheviot
17. Other Breeds (shown in alphabetical order)
23. Champion and Reserve Champion Market Lamb
24. Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Market Lamb
25. Pair of Market Lambs: More than ten (10) in a class will be broken in half. Any breed with
five (5) or more entries will be entitled to its own class.
26. Champion Pair of Market Lambs
4-H SHOWMANSHIP RULES:
See SHOWMANSHIP section of this Handbook for rules.