Contact Project Leader: Heather Light at 765-427-0102 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the Small Animals project.
STATE FAIR ENTRY: None
Small Animals suitable for exhibit in this project are household pets normally housed in a cage or aquarium. These include, but are not limited to, birds, fish, gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, and rats.
- Own and care for one or more small animal(s). Animal(s) MUST be in your possession by May 15. You will complete a Small Animals entry form to verify possession by this deadline.
- Complete activities in project manual, or special activities as specified by project leaders, as follows:
Level 1 (Grades 3-5) - 3 activities
Level 2 (grades 6-8) - 4 activities
Level 3 (Grades 9-12) - 5 activities
- Animal(s) must be brought in their own cage/aquarium and will not be removed from cage except by judge. Members will furnish any necessary supplies. Animals will return home immediately following judging.
- Bring only the animals you have enrolled as your 4-H project to the Small Animals judging.
- Change of animal(s) due to illness or death must be approved by project leader.
- Judging criteria: animal’s general health and appearance; cleanliness, grooming; handling (by judge); 4-Her’s knowledge of the animal.
- If you are unable to be present for judging, you may write a one-page (double spaced) report about your pet, including any knowledge you have about the species.
- Follow 4-H Poster Requirements and Guidelines on page 5 of the Periscope.
Level 1 Exhibit one or two animals of the same species.
Level 2 Exhibit 1) One or two animals of the same species; and 2) a 22" x 28" poster on "Housing," "Proper Nutrition," or "Disease."
Level 3 Exhibit one of the following: 1) Mother, offspring, and 22" x 28" poster on "Breeding," "Raising," or "Selling" animals; or 2) Offspring you bred and raised the previous year and related 22" x 28" poster; or 3) Animal and educational display in an area you have not previously done. Develop your display on any topic covered in the Level 3 manual. (Use a trifold “Science Fair” style display and be sure to include photographs.)