April 2, 2014
Dear 4-H Swine Member,
Weeeee! Weeeee! Weeeee! Perhaps you have seen the insurance commercials with the pig on a zipline or the racing pig—it’s quite funny! The pink pig is flat out enjoying himself. I hope your pigs are feeling good and are flat out enjoying doing their job—EATING! Now is the time for your pigs to have plenty of feed available to them, since they are in a rapid growth period. Contact the 4-H Swine Superintendent, Jason Maxwell (765-346-0935), if you have questions about your pigs.
Here are some important things to remember about the 4-H Swine project in 2014:
- Enroll yourself in 4-H by April 15th. Forms are available at the Extension Office or you may enroll online at www.extension.purdue.edu/morgan This website has enrollment forms under “4-H Youth Development” if you prefer to print your own and send it to the office. There is a $15.00 program fee to join 4-H in 2014, whether you enroll in person, by mail or online. The maximum fee per household is $45.00.
- Enroll your pigs in 4-H! Use the 4-part Indiana State 4-H Swine Enrollment form, and remember that this form is due to the Extension Office by May 15th with the ear notches correctly identified. Any pig going to State Fair needs to be brought to one of the tagging days to have a hair sample taken. There is no online option for enrolling your pigs—sorry! Also remember that if you plan to exhibit your pigs in the State Fair 4-H show, you need to enter them at www.indianastatefair.com by June 1st. (Look for Competitions/contests and then go to 4-H Online Entry. State Fair entries cost $15.00 per member through this site.
- April 9th Swine Club meets at the WKR at 6:00 p.m. Questions contact Bill Witt at 765-346-5881
Swine workshop in WKR at fairgrounds 7:00 p.m. We will have two guest speakers. One will be speaking about what you should be feeding your project hogs and the other will be discussing what you should be looking for when selecting your project pigs.
- Swine Tagging Day is May 18th at the fairgrounds Swine Barn. Tagging begins at 3 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Swine Tagging Day is May 24th at the fairgrounds Swine Barn. Tagging begins at 7:00 a.m. and is over at 12 noon. All 4-H barrows and crossbred gilts need to come to tagging.
- Call to sign up - PQA+ Youth Training sessions will be held at the Extension Office Sadler Room at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 30th and Thursday, May 8th
In order to sell a pig in the 4-H Livestock Auction, you need to attend one PQA+ Youth session each year, or take the 30-question exam to test out of PQA+ until you reach the next age level. See the explanation below: Please contact me at email@example.com to sign up.
- Remember the Swine Showmanship workshop on July 9th at the fairgrounds show arena at 6:00 p.m. This is always a fun event, and the 2014 4-H Swine t-shirts may be ordered at this time.
- Born and Raised form is enclosed for your information. Please refer to pg. 113 of the Handbook.
PQA+ Youth Test-Out option: Youth 12-14 years of age (Intermediate) and 15-18 years of age (Advanced) can certify/recertify by completing and passing an examination (administered by an advisor) at the appropriate age level. To certify by examination, a minimum of 70 percent of the questions must be correctly answered. Once certified by examination, youth are not required to recertify in Youth PQA Plus until the next age level is reached. The youth producer’s age is determined by the individual’s age on January 1 of that year.
Jason Maxwell, Superintendent - 765-346-0935
Best wishes in 4-H Swine this year!
Rena Sheldon, Extension Educator
4-H Youth Development
· 180 S. Main St. · Suite 229 · Martinsville, IN 46151-1987 ·
(765) 342-1010 · FAX: (765) 349-5071
Purdue University, Indiana Counties and U.S Department of Agriculture Cooperating
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution