Want to spend a weekend enjoying 4-H Camp and helping Campers leave with a rewarding experience? Apply today to be a 4-H Camp Counselor!
For 2021, 4-H Camp will be held June 4-6 at Country Lake Retreat Center in Underwood, Indiana.
There will be Camp Counselor training sessions necessary to fulfill the role of Camp Counselor:
- May 1 and 2 overnight retreat (planned at this time- any changes will be communicated)
- June 3 arrival at camp evening before campers arrive
Applications are due in your 4HOnline Account (instructions below) or to your local Extension Office by end of business day February 1, 2021. Please be sure to read the letter for all of the details on how to apply, as well as interview details. A complete application packet will include:
- Application Form
- Bio Form
- Health Form
- Behavioral Expectations Form
Qualifications for Counselors include:
- Minimum of grade 9 or higher as of January 1st.
- Courteous and responsible.
- Will attend all counselor training sessions listed above
Some duties of a Counselor include:
- Help the group in the cabin get to know each other.
- Account for all campers at all times.
- Work with your campers to make sure the grounds and cabin are clean, free of litter and picked up every day.
- Recognize that some campers may be away from home for the first time; therefore, help those who may feel homesick.
- Make sure campers are up and no one is left in the cabin in the morning and everyone is in the cabin in the evening.
- Make sure campers are at scheduled activities and encourage them to be involved.
- Be actively engaged with the campers at all times.
- Cooperate with other camp counselors, facilities staff, extension educators and junior directors.
- Enforce camp rules for safety and conduct. Camper Safety is our highest priority!
- Be responsible for all 4-H members and their care from check-in on the first day of camp to check-out on the last day of camp, 24 hours a day. This includes remaining in the cabin with them through the night.
- Help maintain a clean, controlled, safe, learning and fun camp session for each and every one present at the camp.
- Camp counselors will be released AFTER the final inspection of the camp.
Contact our office if you have any questions.