What is YQCA?
The Youth for the Quality Care of Animals Program (YQCA) is an annual educational certificate program that provides quality assurance education for youth ages 8 to 21 with a focus on three core pillars: food safety, animal well-being, and character awareness.
YQCA includes information for youth exhibiting, Swine, Beef Cattle, Dairy Cattle, Sheep, Goats, Rabbits, and Poultry. Available as an online program or an in-person training, youth may complete the training online (http://yqca.org/) at a cost of $12 or they can participate at an in-person training for $3.
Kosciusko County 4-H offers a coupon code for all students to receive their in-person YQCA training for FREE! - just email us your student(s) name(s) and plug the code in online while finalizing the registration process.
Certification in YQCA is an annual requirement for youth planning to exhibit an animal (Swine, Beef Cattle, Dairy Cattle, Sheep, Goats, Rabbits, and Poultry) in the Kosciusko County 4-H Fair (all other county fairs), the Indiana State Fair, and some open shows.
How to get certified:
There are two ways to complete your certification: in-person or online. Youth may complete the training online (http://yqca.org) at a cost of $12 or they can participate in an in-person training for $3.
- Cost: $12
- Timing: Youth can complete the course at their convenience online at any point.
- How to register: Go to http://yqca.org and log in using your 4HOnline email and password
- Cost: $3
- Timing: Youth must attend one of the classes hosted by an instructor. Planned courses include:
- Thursday, May 28 from 5:00--6:30 PM, Extension Office
- Saturday, May 30 from 9:00--10:30 AM, Extension Office
- Monday, June 1 from 5--6:30 PM, Extension Office
- Monday, June 1 from 7--8:30 PM, Extension Office
- Watch YQCA Website for courses hosted by additional instructors.
- How to register: Go to http://yqca.org and log in using your 4HOnline email and password.
You can find a detailed document (with screenshots) in the files below to help you see how to register for classes. You can also contact the Purdue Extension- Kosciusko County Office with any questions you may have. We have computers in the office you can use to register for a class.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do Mini 4-H Members need a YQCA Certification?: No, this is for 4-H members in grades 3-12.
- When do I need to have my certification complete?: You must complete your certification prior to May 15, 2020.
- What if I show multiple animal species?: You only need to complete the certification once per year, and that will apply to each of your animals.
- How long does the in-person class take?: It is approximately one hour and fifteen minutes.
- Can I attend a YQCA In-Person Training in another county?: Yes, if our schedule does not work for you, you can attend a class in any other county. You can find all classes listed at yqca.org when signing up.
- When should I register for a class?: As soon as possible! Space is limited in each class, and we recommend registering at least a week prior to the class being offered. You MUST register for a class before attending.
- What if I do not remember my 4HOnline email address?: Contact our office, and we can tell you what it is. If you do not sign in with 4HOnline, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to gain access to your completion information. If you do not remember your password, you can reset that yourself using the "Forgot Password" option at https://in.4honline.com
- How long is my certification valid?: One year.
- What if I am not selling my animal in the Auction?: This is not an auction requirement, it is an exhibit requirement, so to show your animal, you must complete the certification.
- How do I receive my Kosciusko County coupon code? Contact the Extension Office via email.