- State Fair Qualifiers: 2 Needlecrafts, 2 Fine Arts Crafts, 2 Model Making Crafts, 6 Any Other Crafts per county in any division
- All posters, notebooks, and display boards must include a reference list indicating where information was obtained, giving credit to the original author, to complete the 4-H member’s exhibit. This reference list should/might include web site links, people and professionals interviewed, books, magazines, etc. It is recommended this reference list be attached to the back of a poster or display board, be the last page of a notebook, or included as part of the display visible to the public. A judge is not to discredit an exhibit for the manner in which references are listed.
- Crafts will be judged by Grades at the County Level; there are no Grade distinctions at the State Level.
- A Champion and Reserve Champion will be selected from those in each Grade in each craft who have earned an honor ribbon if the judge feels there is an article of enough merit to be deserving.
- State Fair entries will be determined by the judges.
- Members may exhibit in more than one craft project (i.e. 1 exhibit in freelance and 1 exhibit in models).
- All items must be complete and ready for use; if a picture, it must be ready for hanging; canvas art on a wooden frame is considered prepared for hanging provided that frame has a hanger. Needlecraft projects are to be ready for intended use; all other crafts are to be finished as required.
- Each year should be a new learning experience, therefore, more difficult exhibits should be made each year.
- A pair or set is considered one article, i.e. mittens, slippers, salt and pepper shakers, pitcher and bowl, tablecloth and/or napkins, etc.
- All crafts must have a 4-H Craft Information Card attached to the project.
- If multiple pieces make up the exhibit, a photograph of the complete exhibit should be attached to the exhibit so the total exhibit can be properly displayed.
- For safety purposes, any craft exhibit that resembles a sword, knife, or a look-a-like weapon will be judged but will not be displayed.
Attach a completed 4-H Craft Information Card to your project.
- Attach a completed 4-H Craft Information Card to your project.
- Packages are not to exceed 24 inches in any direction for any division.
- Purchased bows will not be accepted.
- Packages wrapped for exhibits should not include an article for present.
- Commercial paper will only be allowed in the beginner division.
- No food of any kind should be exhibited on/in the package.
Beginner: Grades 3-5
- Must wrap at least five (5) packages during the year, not including the exhibit package.
- Choose from square or rectangular shapes.
- Make your own simple bow using any type of ribbon, yarn or cord. It must be a self-made bow.
- Commercial paper is permissible.
- Give a demonstration on how to wrap a package or make a bow to a group of 3 or more people.
- Exhibit one box, including your self-made bow; try to show creativity
Intermediate: Grades 6-8
- Must wrap at least eight (8) packages during the year, not including the exhibit.
- One half of the packages must be wrapped with paper and accessories designed by the member.
- Some suggestions for making wrapping paper are:
- Roller Painting
- String Pulling
- Dip Dyeing
- Potato Printing – Using a potato as a design stamp.
- You may use fabric, felt, cut-outs from the newspaper, burlap, or any other idea you can create.
- In place of ribbon and bows, you might use yarn, strips of fabrics, pine cones, small articles, felt, burlap flowers, fabric flowers, etc.
- Give a demonstration to a group on how to make paper or decorate a package.
- Exhibit one package of any shape. The 4-H’er must design their own wrapping paper and decorations. No pre-printed paper may be used. The exhibit need not have bows if they are not in keeping with the design. No commercial gift wrapping supplies will be allowed. Judging will be on creativity and neatness. Attach a five-inch swatch of the wrapping paper you made to a piece of paper with an explanation of what you did.
Advanced: Grades 9-12
- Must wrap at least eight (8) packages during the year, not including the exhibit package.
- Incorporate fancy ideas: Make box or package into a clown, animals, flowers, bells, drum, train, house, etc.
- Be creative and imaginative.
- May be assorted fabrics, scarves, etc. instead of paper.
- Give at least one demonstration to a group of people about this project.
- Exhibit one creative package display of any shape the 4-H member chooses. This may include combined shapes for the one exhibit. Judging will be on creativity. The exhibit need not have bows if they are not in keeping with the design. No pre-printed or commercial paper may be used. Include a
4-H Exhibit Card with each package if multiple.