Committee: Monica Craig, Chris Garner , Larry & Janet White, Jim Glaser, Randy Halcomb, Scott Spurgin, Jeff & Tammy Jacobi, Rich Guffey
- Pen set-up will be Friday, July 11 at 6 pm with a pizza party to follow. All swine must be delivered to Memorial Park between 6 am—noon on Saturday, July 12. Weigh-in will begin at 5 pm that evening. Tack may be unloaded after pens are assigned.
- Pen selection will be as follows: 1st – 10 year members, prior tear down crew, then other 4-H members. Pen assignment will be set at pen setup.
- Registration papers must be turned in as purebred gilts and barrows are unloaded, to determine correct classes.
- The only registration copies accepted must be faxed directly from the breed association to the Extension Office.
- A maximum of 3 pigs will be allowed in annex pens and a maximum of 4 pigs will be allowed in main barn pens. The swine committee reserves the right to combine pigs if pens are needed. Exhibitor is responsible for dividers.
- All swine must weigh a minimum of 180 lbs. to be able to sell as floor hogs or in the 4-H Livestock Auction, except those of 1st year members.
- All swine exhibitors must be PQA certified to sell in the 4-H Livestock Auction and to floor animals. 4-H members may participate in the swine show without certification, but not the auction. Certification must be complete by July 1.
- All pigs may be tattooed that go to floor or Auction by packer.
- All state swine livestock enrollment forms must be in the Extension Office on or before May 15 on all animals to show at County & State fairs.
- All swine will be released after Grand Barrow show except auction, floor and Round Robin animals.
- All purebred barrows will be exhibited by weight and breed with classes broken by the swine committee. All commercial barrows will be exhibited by weight.
- Champions will be selected for each breed of barrows and gilts.
- Commercial gilts will be shown by weight not age, but must be January, February, or March 2014, gilts.
- A member may make two barrow entries per breed and three gilts per breed.
- All purebred gilts will be shown by date of birth with no more than 30 days of age within the class.
- A swine exhibitor may be selected and awarded grand champion showman as many times as selected by the official judge.
- Swine members must furnish their own bedding.
- All swine must be farrowed between January 1 and March 31, 2014.
- Only 4-H members are allowed in holding pens.
- All animals with less than 1/2” hair, 4-H’er risks losing their floor price of animal if condemned by packer.
- Committee reserves the right to make final judgment on all rules concerning swine.
- Grand and Reserve Grand Champions will be chosen in showmanship.
- Annex animals must be out and pens clean by 11am on Tuesday.
- Unused pens in the main barn must be cleaned out to be used by the Sheep Committee before the start of the Sheep show on Wednesday, July 16.
- Pens will be kept clean for pigs that stay until the auction. This will be checked daily at noon.
1) Pen tagged for cleanup
2) 2nd tag—sells after all other species in auction
3) Will not sell in auction.
26. In the Grand Champion Barrow and Gilt drive, the only Reserve Breed Champion to be in consideration for Reserve Grand, Third, Fourth or Fifth Best is the Reserve to the Grand Champion.
27. Henry County Fair Purebred Bred, Born & Raised:
1) Dam must be owned by exhibitor and/or immediate family (as defined by 4-H rules) when animal is born.
2) Exhibitor must have retained continuous ownership of animal until exhibition of Henry County 4-H Fair.
3) Champion and Reserve Champion banners will be presented.
CHECK IN RULES:
- All tags must be out of ears before you unload. You will lose your place in line if you have to take time to cut them out.
- The office copy of the swine enrollment form will be compared for ear notch verification.
- Registration papers must be shown at time of unloading for all swine.
Classes for the following breeds:
Berkshire Hampshire Tamworth
Chester White Poland China Duroc
Commercial Spots Yorkshire
Single Barrow Gilts
Showmanship based on grade. Classes will be determined by enrollment.
LEAN MUSCLE EVALUATION CONTEST
- Animals must be identified for this contest at time of weigh-in. The barrows will be evaluated by means of a sonary.
- Barrows should weigh a minimum of 220 pounds.
- A fee will be determined at the weigh-in time for the scan. The fee will be deducted out of the auction or floor check the 4-H member receives. If 4-H member doesn’t go through the auction, they will be billed.Animals must be identified for this contest at time of weigh-in. The barrows will be evaluated by means of a sonaray.
- Results will be announced when available along with printed results.
- Contest is for BARROWS ONLY.
LEAN MUSCLE EVALUATION CONTEST
DAN & MARTHA WEBB - Plaque to 5th Place Lean Muscle Evaluation
CROSSROADS FAMILY FARMS - Trophy to Reserve Grand Champion Lean Muscle Evaluation
SAMANTHA JACOBS—JBS UNITED, INC. - Plaque to 3rd Place Lean Muscle Evaluation
TIM & BRENDA CHAPMAN - $20 to 5th Place Lean Muscle Evaluation
JIM GLASER FAMILY - $10 to 6th Place Lean Muscle Evaluation
JIM & PATTY WENNING - $15 to Grand Champion Lean Muscle Evaluation
KINCAID FAMILY - $5 to 4th place Lean Muscle Evaluation
STEWART SEEDS -$25 to 4th Place Lean Muscle Evaluation
JEFF & TAMMY JACOBI - Trophy to Grand Champion Lean Muscle Evaluation
HARVEST LAND CO-OP, INC. - Plaque to 4th Place Lean Muscle Evaluation
SHENANDOAH 4-H CLUB -$40 to 3rd Place Lean Muscle Evaluation, $10 to Grand Champion Lean Muscle Evaluation
CROSSROADS FAMILY FARMS - $50 Cash to Reserve Grand Champion Lean Muscle Evaluation
BECKER SHOW PIGS - $50 Cash to Grand Champion Lean Muscle Evaluation
TIM & MARGIE CARTER- Banner to Grand Champion Lean Muscle Evaluation Winner
SPECIAL SWINE AWARDS
DUANE FARLEY & FAMILY - Trophy to Grand Champion Gilt
JEFF & TAMMY JACOBI—Director’s Chair to Grand Champion Gilt & Grand Champion Barrow, Banners to 4th Place Gilt, 5th Place Gilt, 4th Place Barrow, 5th Place Barrow
WISEHART FAMILY FARMS - Trophy to Reserve Grand Champion Gilt
GARY COFFMAN & FAMILY- Trophy to Swine Showman Class 1
RANDY HALCOMB FAMILY - Banner to Reserve Grand Champion Gilt
SHENANDOAH 4-H CLUB - Trophy to Champion Poland China Barrow, Trophy to Champion Duroc Barrow
TRENNEPOHL FARMS -Trophy to Reserve Grand Champion Barrow
IN MEMORY OF GERALD ECKROTE - Banner to Grand Champion Gilt
DONALD BECKER & DENNIS CRUM FAMILIES - Banner to Grand Champion Barrow
BRYAN & BARBARA HAASE – Banner to Third Best Barrow
DENNIS LAWN & GARDEN EQUIPMENT, INC. – Trophy to Swine Showman Class 2.
MYERS FURNITURE & APPLIANCE –Trophy to Swine Showman Class 3 & Class 4
IN MEMORY OF DONALD K. WISEHART – Trophy to Champion Hampshire Barrow
DONOR NEEDED – Trophy to Champion Hampshire Gilt & Champion Duroc Gilt
DAN & MARTHA WEBB - Trophy to Champion Landrace Barrow
FARM WORLD - Trophy to Champion Chester White Gilt
THOMPSON AGRI SERVICE - Trophy to Champion Poland China Gilt
KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS OF NEW CASTLE- Trophy to Champion Chester White Barrow
WHITE'S YORKSHIRE - Trophy to Champion Yorkshire Gilt
ALAN & DOTTIE SHEDD - Trophy to Swine Showman Class 5
SAMANTHA JACOBS - JBS UNITED, INC. -Trophy to Champion Yorkshire Barrow
TERRY & ANGIE LEE - Trophy to Champion Spot Gilt
DAVID IRWIN FAMILY—Trophy to Champion Spot Barrow
IN MEMORY OF CLAYTON COOK – Trophy to Champion Tamworth Barrow and Tamworth Gilt
WHITE SHOW PIGS, LARRY & JANET WHITE- Trophy to Champion Berkshire Gilt , Trophy to Champion Berkshire Barrow
KNIGHTSTOWN ELEVATOR, INC. - Trophy to Champion Commercial Barrow
KINCAID FAMILY - Trophy to Champion Commercial Gilt
IN MEMORY OF LOUISE HARTER, GARRETT & KEN COLE - Trophy to Grand Champion Swine Showman
BLUE RIVER VALLEY FFA CHAPTER – Gift Card to Best Swine Showman
MENCH SHOW PIGS—Banner to Reserve Grand Champion Barrow
THE SPURGIN FAMILY - Trophy to Champion Landrace Gilt
IN MEMORY OF TIM NORRIS - Trophy to Champion Hereford Barrow
TIM & MARGIE CARTER—Trophy to Grand Champion Barrow
ANONYMOUS— Belt Buckle to Reserve Grand Champion Swine Showman
HENRY COUNTY SWINE BOOSTERS— Belt Buckle to Grand Champion Gilt, Grand Champion Barrow and Grand Champion Swine Showman
SYNGENTA, REBECCA SHIRLEY – Trophy to Champion Hereford Gilt
IN MEMORY OF DARRELL WHITE- WHITE’S YORKSHIRE– Director’s Chair to Champion Yorkshire Gilt
GARDNER FARMS—Banner to Champion Bred, Born & Raised Raise Purebred Gilt
RANDY KINCAID & FAMILY—Banner to Reserve Champion Bred, Born & Raised Purebred Gilt
BILL STANLEY & FAMILY—Banner to Champion Bred, Born & Raised Purebred Barrow
JESSE POSEY & FAMILY—Banner to Reserve Champion Bred, Born & Raised Purebred Barrow
BECKER SHOW PIGS—Banner to Third Best Gilt
THE INDIANA CHESTER WHITE BREEDERS ASSOC. - $25 to the exhibitor of the Grand Champion barrow over all breeds if it is a crossbred sired by a purebred, registered Chester White boar. Verification by the Extension Educator, 4-H/Youth and a picture should be sent to Karen Hampton, Box 157, Stilesville, IN 46140. Include the Chester White boar's name and owner.
THE INDIANA CHESTER WHITE BREEDERS ASSOC. - $25 to the exhibitor of the Grand Champion gilt over all breeds if it is a purebred Chester White and its sire and dam are recorded with the Chester White Record Assoc. Verification by the Extension Educator and a picture should be sent to Karen Hampton, Box 257, Stilesville, IN 46180.
WHITE'S YORKSHIRE - $10 cash award to Grand Champion Barrow of Henry County provided it is sired by a registered Yorkshire boar. Also $10 cash award to Grand Champion gilt provided it is sired by registered Yorkshire boar.
INDIANA SPOTTED SWINE BREEDERS - Trophy to Grand Champion barrow if it is purebred Spot and notification sent to Marvin Ridgeway, R. 5 Wabash, IN 46992.
INDIANA DUROC BREEDERS ASSOCIATION – The Indiana Duroc Breeders Association will award in 2014 $25 for an Indiana County Grand Champion 4-H Barrow overall breeds if it is a registered, purebred Duroc. A picture of the barrow and a copy of the pedigree from the county winners must be sent to the treasurer of the Indiana Duroc Association, Carlene Jackson, 767 E 1100 S Warren, IN 46792.
Other Related Information:
Declared Weights at the Indiana State Fair 4-H Swine Show
Appropriate Use of Paylean in Youth Swine Projects
Indiana 4-H Livestock Website
Swine Livestock Enrollment Form Instructions
Ear Notching Reference Guide
2014 Indiana State Fair 4-H Swine Show Entry Form
2014 Indiana State Fair 4-H Swine Show Information