Henry Co 4-H Rabbit Project
Committee: Valerie Boggs, Amanda Barbosa, Justin Hamm, & Jayson Madden
Rabbit Ambassador Contest
Rabbit Educational Poster 22" x 28"
Illustrated Rabbit Display
Exhibit 1-25 rabbits owned and cared for since May 15.
- All 4-H rabbit participants will enter rabbits on Sunday, July 17 between 8 -10 am or 9-11 pm. Mini 4-H rabbits will be judged at the beginning of the regular 4-H rabbit show on Tuesday, July 19 at 9:00 am. The Mini exhibitors gain the opportunity to present their project to a judge are a part of the 4-H show. Absolutely NO rabbits will accepted on the day of the show.
- All 4-H exhibitors will pick up their rabbits at release on Friday, July 22, 6-9 am. No rabbits will be released early with the exception of Mini rabbits.
- Crossbred animals are acceptable for Mini 4-H’ers only, although purebred animals are recommended.
- All rabbits must be an approved breed and variety as outlined in the A.R.B.A. Standard of Perfection. All rabbits must have a legible permanent tattoo in the left ear. The rabbits must be tattooed prior to making entries into Fair Entry before the 4-H Fair. Tattooing is available at Rabbit Club meetings.
- All exhibitors may also exhibit in the Mini costume class.
- All entries will entered online. It will be each member's responsibility to make sure information is entered correctly. For questions about entries, contact a Rabbit Club leader. Any animals that are entered incorrectly (color/sex/tattoo)will be exhibition class only, not eligible for higher awards.
- Late entries follow the rest of livestock late entry guidelines.
- All rabbits will be delivered to the fairgrounds at specified time on Sunday before the show.
- All rabbits will be housed in assigned cages. Cage numbers will be given at check-in.
- Zip ties, padlocks or any type of device is not allowed to be placed on any rabbit cage that will prevent the cage door from being opened.
- Any rabbit showing any signs of illness will be sent home at check-in and not be permitted to stay or be shown.
- All members are responsible for cleaning their assigned cages, dumping their own trays in designated dumping area AND breakdown of cages. Failure to participate will affect eligibility for the Herdsman award.
- Each exhibitor is responsible for feeding and watering their own animals. Containers will be provided.
- If possible, each 4-H’er must exhibit their own rabbit. Otherwise, rabbits will be shown by another 4-H’er designated by the member and approved by Rabbit Chairperson. Any rabbit brought to the judging table by an adult who is not an appointed helper, will be returned to the cage and not judged.
- For eligible meat rabbits, auction form will be due 1 hour after completion of show.
- Ambassador winners are strongly encouraged to enter the State Fair Ambassador Contest. If the winners of respective division decline to participate, the runner—up can participate. Winners should make their decision prior to the end of the fair and inform leaders.
- A Henry County Livestock Record sheet MUST be completed and turned in with green folder.
- All poster and non-rabbit exhibits must be entered at project entry time, Friday at the Smith Building. Proper footnoting listing reference material on 3x5 card on back of the poster should be included. The exhibit must not be larger than 24x24 if not a poster.
- The 4-H’er can create an exhibit on a topic from the project manual but cannot repeat the exhibit.
- Senior Buck - (over 6 months)
- Senior Doe - (over 6 months)
- 6/8 Buck - (6 to 8 months of age– for appropriate breeds)
- 6/8 Doe - (6 to 8 months of age—for appropriate breeds)
- Junior Buck - (under 6 months of age)
- Junior Doe - (under 6 months of age)
Rabbits MUST be purebred. All breeds will show together and all rabbits will be weighed day of show.
- Pen of 3—must be same breed and variety-age limit 10 weeks. Minimum weight 3 lbs. Maximum weight 5 lbs.
- Single fryer—age limit 10 weeks. Minimum weight 3 lbs. Maximum weight 5 lbs.
- Single roaster—age limit under 6 months. Minimum weight over 5 lbs. Maximum weight 8 lbs.
- Single stewer—age limit 6 months & over. Minimum weight over 8 lbs.
All breeds show together, exhibitors can only show 1 in each class.
- White Fur - any white or variety with a usable white portion of the pelt.
- Colored Fur– all non-white colors
- Rex Fur
Costume Class Cage Decoration Class
1 entry per exhibitor 1 entry per exhibitor
MINI 4-H CLASSES
- Mini 4-H
- Mini Costume
- Mini Cage Decoration
Best in Show (BIS) Reserve Best in Show (RIS)
Best 4 Class Best 6 Class
Best of Breed (BOB) Best Overall Fur
Best White Fur Best Colored Fur
Champion Meat Pen Res. Champion Meat Pen
Champion Fryer Res. Champion Fryer
Champion Roaster Res. Champion Roaster
Champion Stewer Res. Champion Stewer
Best 4 Class & Best 6 class will compete for Best in Show & Reserve Best in Show (Only 2 Rabbits)
Best of Breed trophies will be awarded to breeds with 5 or more entries, unless there is a sponsor for a designated breed.
Additional awards may be posted in the Rabbit Barn.
Rabbit Ambassador (as follows):
- Novice: Grades 3-4
- Junior: Grades 5-6
- Intermediate: Grades 7-8
- Senior: Grades 9-10
- Master: Grades 11-12
Corinne Stokes Memorial Herdsman Award
Judged upon: Sportsmanship in barn and at judging table; citizenship, time spent with rabbits, proper care and cleanliness.
GOODWIN BAIL BONDING—Plaques to Best Colored Fur, Best Overall Fur, Best White Fur, Champion Fryer, Champion Meat Pen, Champion Roaster, Champion Stewer, Reserve Champion Fryer, Reserve Champion Roaster, Reserve Champion Stewer and Reserve Champion Meat Pen
ELITE RABBITRY– Plaques to Champion Junior Rabbit Herdsman, Champion Senior Rabbit Herdsman, Reserve Champion Junior Rabbit Herdsman and Reserve Champion Senior Rabbit Herdsman
BILL CRONK—Trophies to Best 4 Class, Best 6 Class and Best in Show; Plaques to Best in Breed—New Zealand, Reserve Best in Show
INFBPW KNIGHTSTOWN—Banner to Reserve Grand Champion Rabbit Meat Pen
TERRY & ANGIE LEE—Banner to Grand Champion Rabbit Meat Pen
DRAPER INC.—Trophies to Mini 4-H Rabbit Members, Plaques to Best Cage Decoration, Best Costume, Best of Breed—Californian, Best of Breed—Holland Lop, Best of Breed—Lion Head, Best of Breed—Mini Rex, Best of Breed—Netherland Dwarf
ANONYMOUS - Plaque to Best of Breed Champagne D'Argent
NANCY WADMAN - Plaque to Best of Breed - English Lop
MERCHANTS BANK OF INDIANA - Plaque to Best of Breed - Rex
BARBOSA FAMILY - Plaque to Best of Rex Fur
Other related information:
Rabbit Resource Manual (Ohio State University)