Once again, 4‐H youth in the poultry project who wish to enter the meat pen class will be required to supply their own chicks. Several local farm supply stores have chicks that fit this class. We recommend Cornish Cross, as it is the industry standard. Uhl’s Feed store will be placing an order on March 14th. Please contact them directly if you would like to reserve chicks 812‐738‐1326
- Members can exhibit only one pen of broilers and one pens of roasters
- It is recommended that meat pens contain birds of the same gender
- The targeted weight for broilers is 4-4.5 lb per bird, 8-9 lb per pair. Broilers should be 6-8 weeks of age
- The targeted weight for roasters is 7-9 lb per bird, 14-18 lb per pair. Roasters should be 8-12 weeks of age
- Members can only bring two birds to the Fair for each of their meat pens. Members may not bring ‘extra’ birds to the Fair.
- MEMBERS MUST BE PRESENT DURING THE JUDGING OF THEIR MEAT PENS FOR THEIR MEAT PEN TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR SALE IN THE AUCTION
This information is available in your Harrison County 4‐H Handbook on page 88. Please refer to this page for target weights at fair time as well. If you have any further questions, please contact Jimmy Bliss or Rebecca Wilkins.