Elkhart County

extension news notice

Purdue Extension: Expert Resources for COVID-19

Health & Wellness Column: Feeling Financially Stressed? Community Resources Can Help.

May 1, 2020

Health & Wellness Column

Virginia Aparicio
Extension Educator - Health & Human Sciences
Purdue Extension Elkhart County
574-533-0554, vaparici@purdue.edu

Feeling Financially Stressed? Community Resources Can Help.

Having the ability to manage our money mindfully is part of financial wellness. Losing your job can be a traumatic experience for individuals and their families. A loss of income can make it more challenging for people to manage financial expenses successfully. Community resources are fundamental in helping people cope during this difficult time.

Unemployment insurance is available to Indiana residents whose employment has been interrupted or ended due to no fault of their own. If you are self-employed or an independent contractor, you may be eligible for pandemic unemployment insurance. Apply online at www.in.gov/dwd/2362.htm

Not everyone will qualify for unemployment or receive a stimulus payment. Fortunately, Indiana has many support services available for its residents. Here are some community resources and support services available for those who have suddenly lost their job or are facing economic hardship.

WorkOne provides free and personalized job training and assistance. They provide computerized listings through Indiana Career Connect which are updated daily and have a customer toolkit reference filled with online assessment and training resources. Visit www.gotoworkone.com

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a federal aid program that provides food assistance to low-income people and families. For SNAP eligibility, you must meet specific financial and non-financial requirements. To apply online visit www.fssabenefits.in.gov/bp/#/

Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA) has a food assistance availability map designed to help individuals and families find nearby food pantries and meal sites. Type in your address to find the closest organization providing food assistance. Visit www.in.gov/fssa/dfr/5768.htm

Township trustees assist township residents who don't have enough income and resources to meet their own needs. The trustee decides who is eligible for assistance. Visit www.elkhartcountyindiana.com/departments/township-trustees  and select your township for the contact information.

Indiana provides a broad range of health services to low-income individuals and families. Those receiving TANF, SSI payments, or Social Security disability payments and individuals or families meeting income and resource guidelines are eligible for health coverage programs in Indiana. Visit www.in.gov/medicaid

Legal assistance is available for low eligible low-income people in Indiana from a Legal Aid office. Legal counseling can be beneficial if you are facing possible legal difficulties. Legal Aid offices generally handle civil cases; they do not handle bankruptcies, misdemeanors, traffic violations, or criminal cases. Visit www.indianalegalservices.org

Indiana 2-1-1 is a free and confidential service that helps Indiana residents find the local resources they need. Dial 2-1-1 to connect with a navigator who can connect you to food and shelter resources, support for substance use or depression, utility assistance, health care services and more. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Visit www.211.org/pages/about

Aunt Bertha is a social care network that connects people seeking help and verified social care providers in their communities that serve them. Visit www.auntbertha.com

For more information on steps you can take to maintain financial control visit, bit.ly/PurdueWhenYourIncomeDrops ###

Purdue University is an equal access, equal opportunity institution.

Recent Stories