The 4-H Llama Project (Llama & Alpacas) provides youth a fun and hands-on learning experience that develops life skills, as well as teaches valuable information about properly caring for their animal. An important objective of this project is for the 4-H member to experience the pride of owning / leasing a Llama or alpaca, gaining it's trust and being responsible for its care. The 4-H project books are organized into the following five subjects:
- Know Your Llama: History, Background, and Characteristics;
- Anatomy: Structure / Conformation, Fiber, and Parts;
- Health, Maintenance and Facilities;
- Training and Showing;
- Use, Marketing, and Careers.
Youth also have the opportunity to develop responsibility, decision-making, nurturing, and communication skills through active participation in the 4-H Llama Project. In addition to owning / leasing a Llama or alpaca, 4-H members can also participate in the Llama Poster project and the Llama Craft projects.
Important documents can be found at the bottom of this page underneath "Related Files".
Important Project Dates:
May 15, 2017 Deadline to enroll Llama/Alpaca through 4HOnline.
July 1, 2017 Deadline to enroll Llama/Alpacas for State Fair without penalty. State Fair Entry website: click here
- Each 4-H member will be required to complete three activities in their project manual.
- Each member must complete and submit a Llama/Alpaca record sheet due at close of animal check-in time as listed in the 4-H fair catalog.
- Grade is based on the grade you were in when you enrolled in 4-H for the 2016 year.
- If you exhibit an animal poster project you need to complete the General 4-H Record Sheet and turn it in at judging check-in in order to have your poster judged. This is required even if you plan to exhibit an animal in that project at the county fair.
2017 Llama Enrollment Documents
Llama Enrollment Cover Letter
Llama Enrollment Instructions for 4HOnline
Animal Location Approval Form
Boone County Llama Lease Agreement
Here are some additional websites that you might find helpful for this project:
Indiana State Fair
How to create a 4-H Poster