The 4-H Llama Project (Llama & Alpacas) provides youth a fun and hands-on learning experience that develops life skills, as well as teaches valuable information about properly caring for their animal. An important objective of this project is for the 4-H member to experience the pride of owning / leasing a Llama or alpaca, gaining it's trust and being responsible for its care. The 4-H project books are organized into the following five subjects:
- Know Your Llama: History, Background, and Characteristics;
- Anatomy: Structure / Conformation, Fiber, and Parts;
- Health, Maintenance and Facilities;
- Training and Showing;
- Use, Marketing, and Careers.
Youth also have the opportunity to develop responsibility, decision-making, nurturing, and communication skills through active participation in the 4-H Llama Project. In addition to owning / leasing a Llama or alpaca, 4-H members can also participate in the Llama Poster project and the Llama Craft projects.
Important documents can be found at the bottom of this page underneath "Related Files".
Important Project Dates:
May 15, 2014 Deadline to turn complete online Indiana 4-H Llama Enrollment form.
May 15, 2014 Deadline to turn in Llama/Alpaca lease forms to the Purdue Extension Office.
July 1, 2014 Deadline to enroll Llama/Alpacas for State Fair without penalty. State Fair Entry website: click here
- Each 4-H member needs to turn in a record sheet and worksheet to complete the Dairy project for the year.
- Grade is based on the grade you were in when you enrolled in 4-H for the 2014 year.
- Answers to the worksheet are found in the Dairy Resource Manual (Ohio State). One resource manual is provided per family the first year a family member takes the Dairy Project.
- If you exhibit an animal poster project you need to complete the General 4-H Record Sheet and turn it in at judging check-in in order to have your poster judged. This is required even if you plan to exhibit an animal in that project at the county fair.
Here are some additional websites that you might find helpful for this project:
Indiana State Fair
How to create a 4-H Poster